My first batch of meaties just arrived! 26 Cornish x

Was the comb blue or darker than normal? Indicates heart failure.
Open him up and look for fluid around the heart and lungs. Ascites is a known issue. So is heat stress. CX run hot and summer does them no favors.

Yours are still young, though. Failure to thrive is another issue.
Appreciate the input. Comb seemed normal. Hopefully there.is.no.Next time. If there is a Next time I will.do an exam.

Interesting to see, I did 26 and 20 made it to butcher day. (2 weeks ago)
They just seem fragile I guess, wait till they are close to the date and watch how they go after food! Lol
Red rangers this fall for me.
Good luck and enjoy the venture!

Interesting to see, I did 26 and 20 made it to butcher day. (2 weeks ago)
They just seem fragile I guess, wait till they are close to the date and watch how they go after food! Lol
Red rangers this fall for me.
Good luck and enjoy the venture!
Thanks so much. Tomorrow they will be 2 weeks old. Update and pics to come

I sold half of my meaties this morning since my original CSA partner backed out. I was able to get $40 for 12 chicks, which made mine totally free. :celebrate I also gave her most of the smaller ones of the bunch, so that's a win-win.

These chubsters sure are beefing up! It's incredible how quick they are growing. I am going to turn off their heat plate tomorrow for most the day in preparation for pasture next week!! I also plan to start limiting their food when they go on pasture to two 20ish minute sessions twice a day. I just got some electric netting to put around their field so they will be extra safe in their tractor. Those few early deaths were discouraging but I feel like we have hit our stride. Here's some pics. They have grown from nuggets to tenders!

They are 14 days old.
20200711_190121.jpg

20200711_190150.jpg

20200711_190047.jpg

One question. Should I gradually transition them to restricted feed, giving them less time with the food each day? Or give them free choice right up until they go in the tractor at 3 weeks?

I went by temp as opposed to age for letting them out. After dressing them out my best was 6lbs and smallest was 4lbs
I bought the shrink bags and did 2 that way, those work great, then we decided to fire up all the roasters and oven and can them.
We also made broth from the bones and canned all that for chicken soup this winter.
I also kept them on food all day long. I refused to do the chicken math , lol , so I can’t tell you how I came out money wise as opposed to buying at the store, but the goal was good quality meat to store.

Back
Top Bottom