My first batch of meaties just arrived! 26 Cornish x

One question. Should I gradually transition them to restricted feed, giving them less time with the food each day? Or give them free choice right up until they go in the tractor at 3 weeks?
I suggest free feeding until 3 weeks. The early days you want them to grow as fast as possible and they don't have issues. You slow down later since the weight can outgrow the bones and joints.

I just got some electric netting to put around their field so they will be extra safe in their tractor.

I understand they are in a tractor so you should not have this anyway, but my dual purpose chicks could go through the openings in the electric netting until they were 7 or so weeks old. Their feathers insulate them and protect against shock. And they jump up a bit as they go through so their feet are not touching the ground when they go through.

As fast as yours are growing they may already be too big, just a bit of trivia that might help somebody down the road.

I understand they are in a tractor so you should not have this anyway, but my dual purpose chicks could go through the openings in the electric netting until they were 7 or so weeks old. Their feathers insulate them and protect against shock. And they jump up a bit as they go through so their feet are not touching the ground when they go through.

As fast as yours are growing they may already be too big, just a bit of trivia that might help somebody down the road.
Thank you for that. I was slightly worried about this. Hopefully the tractor will contain them as planned. Appreciate the heads up!

I went by temp as opposed to age for letting them out. After dressing them out my best was 6lbs and smallest was 4lbs
I bought the shrink bags and did 2 that way, those work great, then we decided to fire up all the roasters and oven and can them.
We also made broth from the bones and canned all that for chicken soup this winter.
I also kept them on food all day long. I refused to do the chicken math , lol , so I can’t tell you how I came out money wise as opposed to buying at the store, but the goal was good quality meat to store.
What is your chicken canning method?

Back
Top Bottom