my first broody UPDATE!! theyre hatching..now with pics!!

a few days after i gave her eggs, one of my other hens got on the nest when she went to eat real quick and broke a few eggs(clumzy cochin
barnie.gif
). i cleaned up the nest for her and left her with the remaining 12 eggs. about a week later she pushed a couple out of the nest. they cracked when they hit the ground but from the smell of things they werent good anyway. so mom was left with 10 eggs and has been happily sitting on them ever since.
i went to let the hens out this morning and i heard peeping from the nest box my broody is in
celebrate.gif
my curiosity was killing me so i got a closer look. she has at least 2 chicks snuggled next to her i didn't want to bother her for an actual head count though.
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
i didnt think the babies were due till tomorrow or tuesday so this was a plesant surprise.
i'm so excited since this is my first broody. i know i should leave them alone for now but what about when the chicks are ready to leave the nest with mom. the nest box she chose to sit on is about 3 feet off the ground. will the chicks be ok if they jump from there? also, i bought some chick starter for the little ones. should i just put it out where mom can find it and show it to them? i have an extra feeder i was planning on using for mom and babies. one more quick question. i was planning on closing off part of the coop so the other chickens cant bother her for the first couple days with her new babies. i was going to use chicken wire so they could still see her and the new additions to the flock but not bother them. is this a good idea so they can settle in without the threat from the other hens and the roo? or should i just leave them to all mingle with one another?

i'll see if i can get some pics when i check on them later. i dont want to bother them again right now but i know pics of new babies is mandatory lol
tongue.png

Awesome, can't wait for pics!

I've heard that chicks do fine getting out of a higher nest, but I don't know if I'd chance three feet. I might put an upside down cardboard box or a crate or Rubbermaid container or something else stable in front of the nest like a big step.

I'll leave the other questions to folks who have more experience with mama hens.

I've heard (read on this forem) that you do not want the other hens or roo to be able to git to where the chicks are because they may try to kill them; that it is best if mom and chicks are separated from the rest of flock for a while, I'm not sure until when, exactly but I do know they are in danger. I remember reading suggestions to move mom and chicks to dog crate within coop at night, so that mom does not abandon chicks due to move???

Sorry someone else will have to tell you more cause I really don't have experience and don't know any better.

How exciting!

Good luck!

Sorry it took so long to post pics. i had a busy day and was away from the house yesterday afternoon/eveninng. i moved mom and babies from the top nest box to the bottom one on that row last night when she was asleep. she didn't seem to notice the move, but it put her and her little ones much closer to the ground. we had 8 out of 10 hatch. i candled the last 2 last night then opened them myself for a closer look once i determined they were a no go. one egg(the only egg she was sitting on that was actually hers) looked full term but was dead in the egg. the other was the same but it had a deformed beak so it never would have made it anyway. the other little guys are doing great. we have 4 black sex-links...2 boys 2 girls. 1 black and 2 brown EE mixes(the brown ones look like they have single combs like dad) and one either BO or RIR mix(not sure who mom is) dad to all of them is our RIR x brown leghorn roo.
they seemed to be getting along with the flock just fine this morning. mom is one of the original hens so all the others respect her. the roo was actually helping Skittles keep an eye on them. it was soooo cute. when i let everyone out to free range this morning i kept mom and babies in the coop so they could have some alone time together.

well here are some pics of them

this is mom with the 1st two chicks yesterday.
10056613.jpg

here are some quick pics from this morning after i let everyone else out to free range.
10056772.jpg

10056822.jpg

10056882.jpg

Back
Top Bottom