My first bumble foot ugh....

Penicillin has very poor effectiveness against the staphylococcus family, which is most often the dominant bacteria isolated in bumblefoot infections.
May I suggest, you use one of the products below instead?
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10#:~:text=What is Baytril used for,Infections and many many more.
https://www.chewy.com/fish-aid-antibiotics-ciprofloxacin/dp/185213
I’m not an expert by any means. Will these oral antibiotics have any negative effect on the digestive system of the bird?

Unfortunately I’ve removed another kernel a larger one at that today so my concern is that this is not getting any better. I am quite sure the proper course of anabiotic is required. I am not sure how many more times I’m going to have to remove this infection and I have concern for the birds other foot as well. I believe I’m going to have to keep her completely isolated from all of the other animals and restrict her movement inside of a large dog kennel.

I’m not an expert by any means. Will these oral antibiotics have any negative effect on the digestive system of the bird?
The digestive tract is composed of good bacteria flora that helps birds maintain a healthy intestinal environment; antibiotics are non-discriminative against bacteria and will kill good, and bad.
Oftentimes these changes will have a negative effect on the digestive system, but it shouldn't keep one from using antibiotics when needed. Veterinarians will usually suggest antibiotics for most well-devloped bumblefoot cases.

Isaac O,
thank you for your input. I’ve ordered the bay trial last night. Since then I’ve decide to make an appointment locally with a vet hoping I can get then to provide an expert set of eyes on the case and make sure I am doing things properly and the duck gets a proper high strength antibiotic in her ASAP

I’ve wavered a bit with any meds or aggressive treatment and scheduled an appointment with a local vet. Well starting at $62 bucks I figure I won’t waste anymore money on unneeded meds. She’s back in the bucket-O-salts now for a spa treatment 😒. Noticed the kernel back again and looking dark and black. I hope to have her in the vets office tomorrow at 1 & looking forward to getting some resolution.

The fact I gift and sometimes sell my eggs (dozen/day) concerns me over what medication I give her and how to separate her from the flock. She obviously he doesn’t like being away from her mates!

6667DDAF-8D35-4280-996C-48E5FE1AD548.jpeg

Scuba Stevie II stuck in jail on Papas porch. She’s not too fond of the fashionable pink flipper slipper I put on her today. She definitely does like being away from her pals by herself. We see the vet tomorrow. one of the Cayuga girls had a slight limp and favoring of her flipper... turned her over and another damn Bumblefoot.
I need to replant everything that’s muddy back in grass and maybe isolate any with signs of this as I guess it can be quickly spread in wet muddy environments?
I considered sand and pea gravel then I’m told it’s not so good either. I’ll have to do more to spread the traffic around and keep a 4” thick grass lawn for these delicate pampered troublemakers.

Poor Ol’ Scuba... Well she went to the Vet on Thursday. Antibiotics administered via injection and take home oral .25cc dexamethasone every other day. Plus a second shot in 10 days. No tissue was removed. Took her in after a good epsom soak. Booties up now and improving some.

Her Cayuga sister was isolated next to her in “the cage of shame” a few days ago, company in the cell next to Scuba. Clearly they have shared jailhouse stories and now both reluctant to Papa’s pea & veggie bribery.

Cayuga has had very inflamed toe recently. I have given her a few spa treatments with no removal of any infection until today. see the ugly mofo below. That’s .10 of an inch on the scale. Over a 1/4” deep.

Wow no wonder it hurt to walk. The kernel or nodule has very sharp edges and it is very hard!
This thing was in a little duck toe. If that was in my foot I’d be in serious pain, let a alone a toe

Attachments

• 65829B3B-A663-443D-B17B-58D0AA9962C1.jpeg
    65829B3B-A663-443D-B17B-58D0AA9962C1.jpeg
    611.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 0058F267-E277-43C4-8090-6A928122428C.jpeg
    0058F267-E277-43C4-8090-6A928122428C.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 5
  • 448B7288-31C0-455D-9246-5D4B974ABF72.jpeg
    448B7288-31C0-455D-9246-5D4B974ABF72.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 5
I have the Cayuga taking 1/2 mL of Baytril once a day. Im Curious to see the difference in meds between the 2. I’m hoping the OTC Baytril will have Similar results. Isolation lots of cleaning and cleaned maintained bedding too. Good God we know how much they poop!

I have the Cayuga taking 1/2 mL of Baytril once a day. Im Curious to see the difference in meds between the 2. I’m hoping the OTC Baytril will have Similar results. Isolation lots of cleaning and cleaned maintained bedding too. Good God we know how much they poop!

Hey I hate to necro this thread but I am treating 2 of my ducks right now for bumblefoot and was browsing past posts for sage advice and wisdom and stumbled upon Scuba's bumble journey. I wanted to see how she was doing and how long her treatment ended up lasting? Hope she and her friend are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom