My first chicken tractor...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ScrambledGreg, Mar 1, 2011.

1. ScrambledGreg

ScrambledGreg In the Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    North Charleston, SC
    Hey guys...I have wanted to make a chicken tractor for a long time and I finally broke down and made one with some scrap materials. It is about 3x9 in size.

[​IMG]

Back view, with access hatch for nest box:

[​IMG]

They found the nest [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have it sitting in my garden, where they are taking care of some grass that popped up after a recent tilling...those fences the coop is sitting between is where we plant string beans...

[​IMG]

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Looks nice! Please put some hardware cloth around the wire to make it more predator safe. [​IMG]

3. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I've been wanting to make a chicken tractor, but I haven't done it yet. I love your tractor, I may "steal" your design! Good job! [​IMG]

I admire your setup, really nice garden!

4. elmo

elmo Crowing

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Is that a daytime tractor, or do you plan to leave chickens in there overnight? If it's for night time security, I strongly agree with the other poster about reinforcement with something that has smaller openings. Right now, your chickens are very vulnerable to "reach through predation," and raccoons with their grabby paws are more likely to be around at night.

The other issue is vulnerability to digging predators. You can build a welded wire apron to go on the ground, attached to the baseboards, and hinged so you can flip them up when you want to move the tractor. I anchor the four corners of our tractor's aprons with bricks.

5. ScrambledGreg

ScrambledGreg In the Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    North Charleston, SC
    Quote:Good tip - thanks...

6. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Songster

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Nice tractor, scrambledG!! Trying to get poop for the garden, eh? Or should I say, garden food? Good looking and very easy to whip together! How do the birds like it?

Where is my southern hospitality?! ScrambledGreg, [​IMG]!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  7. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Songster

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from south carolina/fla. looks great helping out the garden. need to put some hardware cloth to keep out coons.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  8. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Songster

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    Quote:This is why I've been working myself stupidly hard on my "super" coop, instead of doing these tractor things (the land owner's off in hawaii for a few weeks so I'm doing what I think is best - we can mess with these tractor things when he's back). His coop, the one he built, is effectively right under the window of the room he sleeps in. My coop is parallel with my trailer here and not all *that* much smaller (16' vs. 25') the "chicken tractors" are supposed to be out in the field we grow corn in, not near us and in prime raccoon territory. I've battled, literally, raccoons out there at night before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: