my first coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by m.rogers, Sep 16, 2008.

1. m.rogers

m.rogers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2008
    Glen Burnie MD.
    this is the first coop and run i gave ever builted.

coop is 8' long by 3' wide and 4' tall with a 1' drop from front to back with 6 nest boxs in the back. the run is 8' by 8' and 6' tall plus the space under the coop that they can go under. The hole thing cost me about $100.00 to make as i got most of the stuff for it from work and job sites. I let my wife do the painting (got paint at lowes for $5.00 a gal. for 2 gal. that some one put back after it was mixed) [​IMG][​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Nice coop and run. Is there a door on the side of the coop for egg collection and clean-out?

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    very nice!!...i think you did a great job!..i also like the way the run is built...and how they can go under t he coop..it saves space!...i'll have to show my husband the pic to see if he can build something like that for our next coop...thanks for the picture..Wendy

4. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Hey, grrrrrrrrrrreat job! [​IMG] I love that neat door you made leading to the run.

5. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Very nice!

6. m.rogers

m.rogers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2008
    Glen Burnie MD.
    thanks guys and gals

redoak the 2 doors on the back are the doors to the nest boxs and there is a large door on the side by my son.

7. HaleMoa

HaleMoa Out Of The Brooder

that is an awesome lil coop! you guys painted it and all too. your dimensions sound huge, but it looks pretty compact in the pictures. your hens must be happy. how many do you have??? we just finished up our coop/run today (for the most part)... still got the little tightening up stuff to do. hopefully i'll get some pics posted soon... it was my first one too, and its a pretty exciting feeling. congratulations again!

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Great job! [​IMG]

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Wow! You did a really nice job on that run and the coop. It really looks good. I see the chickens are enjoying it.

I can't see the sides of the coop in your pictures. Did you add ventilation holes there? I didn't notice any on the front or back. If you didn't add any, you might want to think about dong that. Other than that, you look all set!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by