My first coop

HulonB

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
My first coop and my wife has already bought so many chickens I am going to have to add on to it
9571AE94-3F4F-4447-844A-9B493BE781A7.jpeg

You've done a nice job on that.

Well she has bought 19 so far and it is going to be 21 because the Tractor Supply silkies are not full blood silkies

Yikes! You'll need to make a regular chicken palace.

Here's some math for you. :)

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop,
  • 10 square feet in the run,
  • 1 linear foot of roost,
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
So, for 20 birds,
  • 80 square feet in the coop.
  • 20 feet of roost
  • 200 square feet in the run. 10'x20', 12'x16' or 8'x25' as suits the land available.
  • 12 square feet of ventilation.
  • 5 nest boxes.
Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters, especially when building chicken housing. :)

You've done a nice job on that.

Yikes! You'll need to make a regular chicken palace.

Here's some math for you. :)

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop,
  • 10 square feet in the run,
  • 1 linear foot of roost,
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
So, for 20 birds,
  • 80 square feet in the coop.
  • 20 feet of roost
  • 200 square feet in the run. 10'x20', 12'x16' or 8'x25' as suits the land available.
  • 12 square feet of ventilation.
  • 5 nest boxes.
Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters, especially when building chicken housing. :)
North Texas, there is a huge window not shown in the picture and I still have not put in the roost boards and I am still going to build a 16’x16’ pin attached to that run

Back
Top Bottom