My first Coturnix enclosure idea

I would like to first preface this with I am new, as in only been taking care of quail for about 1 1/2 months. My experience is minimal. I was told quail do not nest like chickens too. However, in an effort to provide some type of bedding that wouldn't fall through the wire and wouldn't mat down the way the straw did, I used some wooden boxes that the clementine oranges come in. We had some seriously cold single digit weather here not too long ago. Anyways, everytime I opened up the coop I would see at least 3 of them snuggling together. Since then I have added a couple of old soda cartons in there that I cut into shallow nesting boxes and fill with shavings. The good thing is I can just throw these out when they get too dirty. I also have a shallow pan for dust bathing. They love it.

You might want to make the covering right in front of the coop (egg laying area) so it will tempt them to stay there, also cover up your coop, with the door on top (you could make it like a vent if you wanted for light but they don't need that).

Back
Top Bottom