My First Ducks Ever Are Hatching!

Pics
Sorry for the lack of updates guys, I've been very busy! I had TONS of pictures on my phone but it had to be factory reset and I lost everything but what was taken the last several days.

The babies are doing great! The spoiled people-lover, the lavender has been named Biscuit. I can start to see size differences and I think the two chocolates are ducks and the two barred and Biscuit are drakes.

Biscuit is a bit of a celebrity around here, family and friends love him and beg for me to bring him over. He begs to be cuddled and loved on and follows me everywhere so reliably that he's become my new fishing partner.

0719180554b-1.jpg

As you can see, feathers are coming in! He's getting to be a little prickly with pin feathers.

Fast asleep.
0719180746.jpg

He's such a lazy bum and doesn't want much to do with swimming. He's so happy to just sit there and try to catch bugs that are flying around then sleeping when he's supposed to be helping me haul fish in.

I'll get some pictures of everyone here soon!

I wondered where you went. So cute and sweet! :love
If you get pics of the others, I would love to see them. I also like the name you picked. :confused:

Thanks guys. My boyfriend actually named him. Who is an animal lover but not really a bird guy, he's gotten really attached to the ducks.

I did some moving around today, the brooder was getting too small for everyone so now they're out in one of the chicken pens, separated from my youngest batch of chickens.

0720181122a.jpg

I went out to get some stuff done before it opens up raining and hurried and took some pics.

Feathers feathers feathers! I love their little fat butts right now. Biscuit has a couple white tail feathers mixed in.
0720181126.jpg

I wonder if the smaller barred could be female.. Hmmm. And what do you guys think of the color of the darker brown?

Attack of the bills! Oh man, you gotta love duck bills. They're always smiling and so cute how they sift water loudly or tickle your skin. And it's so neat how each one has their own unique colors or pattern.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! All the babies are doing great and seeing huge explosions in feather and size growth. I'm also beginning to see caruncle flesh.

Still not sure about genders and the color of the darkest one. The feathers appear to be coming in black or near black with some brown intermixed.

As you can see here! Any ideas?
0803180728b_HDR.jpg

Seeing iridescence in the feathers! So pretty. And as friendly and curious as ever. These guys are fearless and will come up to anyone. You can freely pet them and they'll just explore your hands, clothes, jewelry or whatever they see that looks interesting!
0803181018.jpg

I see a lot of sexing posts on here and people posting skinny legged girls but none of mine have delicate, skinny legs. I noticed some of them have slightly thicker, but much longer legs. These two have short, only slightly thinner legs.
0803181023a.jpg

While this guy has tree trunks.
0803181023c.jpg

They're so adorable! I love how tame they are compared to hand-reared chickens. There's a grumpy, broody Sky in the background. Shes been removed from. Her nest and isn't happy.
0803181016a.jpg

Tree trunk guy is definitely a male. Do the others have skinnier legs? I wouldn't say pencil legs, but skinnier than that. Also, the one standing with its tail sticking towards the camera looks male - the tail does anyway. But, if you can post pics of their full body and face, it could help sex them. Do any of them have the same body size as tree trunk legs?
They all look really good and healthy!
Looks like 2 chocolate, two barred, and maybe 1 lavender?
Maybe @learycow can poke their head in and help with colors. Or I always have success direct messaging Nyla. )

Back
Top Bottom