My First Ducks Ever Are Hatching!

Pics

DyingPhoenix

Songster
May 12, 2016
Dewitt, IL
So excited, everyone! I have chickens and turkeys but never had ducks before. After a lot of research, I eventually chose muscovy as my breed of choice. It was a long hard journey to find some in my area and I ended up finding hatching eggs here. Nyla sold me some which I am SO thankful for. I bought them as a birthday gift for myself. :D

Fast forward to lockdown and today I have my first duckling! I just wanted to share pictures and stories and perhaps have a little insight to the possible colors that my babies will be.

So here it is... The first baby.

Saying hello to the world!
0625181315b.jpg

0625181320a.jpg

Looks like some sort of chocolate to me but I'm not sure. It's a cinnamon color with yellow. Brownish pink bill and brownish legs with pale toe tips. What do you guys think? I'll post more pics when it fluffs out. It's killing me to not take it out and cuddle! I am going to try and vent sex each of them as well.

Attachments

• 0625181315d.jpg
    0625181315d.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 12
Aww welcome to the world little duckie! So exciting when they hatch out, they look so scruffy until they dry put and Fluff up.

I started talking to mine as soon as they were hatched and handling them (not too much while they were drying as they needed to stay warm) they all imprinted and now I am mummy duck and they follow me round and want cuddles before bedtime now! They are all celebrating their 1st birthday this week! They grow up so fast ha ha x

So cute! So these are Muscovy?
Maybe you could detail your hatch in an article. A lot of people have trouble hatching muscovies.
Congrats!

Thanks for the replies everyone. The other eggs have pipped but no signs of zipping. I had a couple late deaths, one internally pipped but then died. I hate seeing that.

As for hatching muscovy.. These were shipped eggs and although most had good air cells, a lot of them quit early. I gave a handful to my broody hen, which didn't stop some of the quitters due to shipping. The majority I placed in the incubator and I use the dry incubation method like I do with all my chicken eggs.

I can't wait to see the others hatch! I'll update with more pictures asap.

Ooo, do you have any pics? I would love to see them! Part of the reason I like muscovy is their color variance.

Nyla went above and beyond with info and generosity about my ducks. I cannot say good enough things about her! I'm not far from her either I don't think. I'm in Illinois. If I did it again, I'd have driven.

Ooo, do you have any pics? I would love to see them! Part of the reason I like muscovy is their color variance.

Nyla went above and beyond with info and generosity about my ducks. I cannot say good enough things about her! I'm not far from her either I don't think. I'm in Illinois. If I did it again, I'd have driven.

I saw your baby duck thread so pics will not be required lol. And the video was so cute with the tail wagging drake. Love your setup!
That is part of the reason why I chose muscovy too. I feel the same about Nyla. :)
I never had ducks - we had chickens when I was a teenager, but I wanted nothing to do with them. :D I got my own chickens as adults.
I started the thread and then just thought it was a nice way to chronicle the duckling's younger days.

How come you didn't want anything to do with them? I always wanted chickens as a kid. The first breed that actually inspired me was the white silkie. A friend's boyfriend lived on a farm and his grandma had a whole flock. They were so weird and cute!

I also have amazing parents that love animals and I grew up and raised all kinds. I was given and raised two tiny mallards. That's a story my mom loves to tell family. I had those two ducks in the house til they were full sized lol! I used to carry them both under each arm like footballs and they followed me everywhere.

I can't wait to have ducks again and I hope they are as tame! Anyway I have PICS!

Nyla messaged me after I sent the first pics and said this was a lavender. Now that it's fluffed out, you can see it better.

0626180656.jpg

0626180637a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom