My first egg hatched! **UPDATE** Chick died

PolishPrincess, Ohmygosh! I'm sorry, in my sadness I didn't think to mention "found her frozen". I showed my older 2 kids the chick to give them a visual about WHY we don't leave any of the chicken coops open when it is freezing out! No, it wasn't their fault, but I had to take advantage of the visual when I had it!

Bock_Bock still nothing on the one that was due today. I put it to my ear, tapped on it a few times and nothing. I'm thinking if she isn't pipping tomorrow then she is dead.

fl.gif
fl.gif
Is it ALIVE?!?!?
fl.gif
fl.gif

Edited following the above post. How sad
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
i know you are doing natural breeding (using a hen) so i was just wondering have u tried cadling? if not i would try that as quickly as possible to try to not let the heat and humid out of egg as it will take longer for momma hen to heat ti back up

Quote:
Bock_Bock, could you explain a little more what you mean? I have been candling, yes, but the last time I planned to candle the eggs my first one was pipping, so I didn't mess with the others. I could go out and candle them right now, but what would I see in the egg that was due today? Wouldn't it be completely dark, filled with the chick?

Quote:
Bock_Bock, could you explain a little more what you mean? I have been candling, yes, but the last time I planned to candle the eggs my first one was pipping, so I didn't mess with the others. I could go out and candle them right now, but what would I see in the egg that was due today? Wouldn't it be completely dark, filled with the chick?

If your hen doesn't have any babies, she may stay on the nest long enough to hatch the others. If she does hatch, she should still stay on the eggs another couple days, maybe 3. If I were you, I'd get a box, a desk lamp, a temp gauge and incubate the rest for the remaining days. See my post here on how I hatched my eggs (the whole process) using a desk lamp: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=124951 Maybe you can hatch the rest yourself this way and not lose them! I am very sorry for the loss of your little chick. I would try to section off an area to keep the other hens and roos away as they can kill other chicks.

Quote:

yes if you have a chick in there you should see a dark mass and look closely to see if it is moving as if its still alive it should be

Bock_Bock, I do believe I saw movement. The date on the egg says: " 13? " which means I'm not exactly sure if it was the 13th it was laid. So, I may be off by a day. I'll check again tomorrow.

I only left 4 eggs with her. The other three are due Feb. 10, 13, & 14. We'll see what happens in the next day or so.

We really don't need any more chickens, but that doesn't seem to stop me from having the urge to ask hubby to make an incubator for me! I'd love to hatch some of my bantam eggs!

well if you seen movement then dont give up some chicks like to just "hang " in there egg for an extra day or 2 sometimes 3 or 4 it happenes just dont give up

I left 4 good eggs under her last night. I just went out to check to see if the one hatched and all 4 were chilly, not warm at all! She was in the nest but they were spread out around her, so to speak. None were really UNDER her. What happened???

Back
Top Bottom