My first egg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goodchicks, Sep 7, 2014.

1. goodchicks

goodchicks Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Charlotte CH VA
    One of my chicken laid her first egg today it has a very thin shell. This chicken came from a local feed and seed store as a laying pullet (not a baby chicken) I know he feeds them commercial feed and keeps them very clean, overall she is healthy, would she laid stronger shells eggs?
    I forgot my turkey ate the egg she laid the egg outside the coop

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sounds like a calcium deficiency. Make sure your feed is for layers..consider at least for awhile to supplement her calcium.

3. goodchicks

goodchicks Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Charlotte CH VA
    Thank you I started diet supplement I'm affraid my other chicken might not need any extra calcium, the layers are new to my flock. Thanks a million:D

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A better approach for a flock that is not 100% active layers (this means mixed gender, chicks with hens, hens who are not laying due to age, molt, etc) is to use a grower feed and offer calcium in the form of oyster shell, etc. Even w/out a mixed flock, many prefer the higher protein content of a grower feed vs. the lower content in layer feed. The only "advantage" of a layer blend is the extra calcium and that is easily addressed in other ways - ie the oyster shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by