1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JFoos, Jul 7, 2016.

1. JFoos

JFoos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2016
    Oklahoma
    One of my hens ( I'm 80% sure it's my red sexlink ) has just started laying but rather than in the nesting boxes she's laying them on the floor. I've been using some wooden boxes I bought at my local farm supply store and have ceramic eggs in them. After I found the eggs (3) on the coop floor today I put the boxes I made out of 5 gallon buckets instead. I also cut back on the shavings on the floor. Will this encourage her to lay in the boxes? Any other ideas? Thank you in advance.

2. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    She will eventually learn, I got one new layer that keep on having her eggs in the corner of the coop for few days now, while the other new layers been using the nests right away.

I have a barred rock that was doing this last year too, I locked her in the nest for an hour and she's been laying in the same nest ever since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by