My First Eggs

rdranch

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Strasburg,CO
We started out with 18 chicks and told the sales person that we only wanted pullets. She said she would do her best to pick them out but we could expect a few cockrels. Well 21 weeks later they are all pullets. That's great, and we did not lose any. They have a coop that is 6 by 12 feet and their run is just over 700 square feet. They get plenty of fresh water and all the feed and fresh vegetables they can eat. I built a community laying box that is 8 square feet big. At this point we are only getting about 1 or 2 eggs a day. Being in eastern Colorado the weather has been fairly hot and lately very humid for us. I have 3 each of 6 different breeds. Most of them are different sizes. Meaning there are three different sizes among most of the breeds. Do you think that after a month or so they will all reach mature sixe and start laying as usual or did some get to much nutrition too early and may not be normal? Also do they need a calcium supplement as their laying ration has it in the feed?

Wow! Aren't chickens amazing?
And welcome to the board.
With 6 different breeds, they could all lay at different ages. I would gradually start mixing in a layer ration with whatever they are being fed now.
Yes, you will need extra calcium, for good strong shells. Most people use oyster shell free choice. I get mine at a feed store in a 50# bag. Lasts a long time.

Nah,they will be fine...u should just stick to the laying pellets right now.They do need the nutrition from them.Wouldnt want them to get to spoiled to early,lol...like mine!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom