1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sadies chicks, Jul 8, 2011.

1. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    They laid!! there were two eggs today and as you can see very thin shells. The eggs were laid under the roost so they were damaged from the chickens walking on them. Is this normal for the shell to be so thin? I would assume so cause they are just beginning.

Please don't mind the poop and feathers [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    Congradulations!! How old are your chickens?

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Not a very good start. Are you feeding them oyster shells & laying pellets? It sometimes takes them a few times to get the wheels turning.

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Congratulations! Two of my girls laid eggs that resembled the one on the right. After the first one, they shaped up. Just be sure you're feeding them calcium, and, do you have fake eggs in their nesting boxes?

5. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    They just turned 17 weeks and I JUST last week started them on layer pellets, so it will probably take them a few tries to get good ones going. I have golf balls in the nesting boxes, I might switch to fake eggs.

I can't wait to see what they do today!

I will also get some oyster shells, another reason for me to go to the farm store (one of my FAVORITE things to do on the weekend!! [​IMG] )

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Definitely improve their diet and you'll have more eggs than you can eat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by