My first go at building a coop

My runner ducks would be overjoyed to have such a nice home! The run is roomy, and the coop appears cozy and secure. I have (finally) learned that all runs should be tall enough for the human caretaker to service while standing upright, like yours is. I also really like the split, hinged roof.

You will likely get told that you should have used hardware cloth instead of chicken wire to keep predators out. While that is true, if you are like me, your ducks aren't "out" unless you are present to keep them safe.

Most people would be horrified to see my duck run. It's simply 2-foot -- because they are runners, not flyers -- wire garden fencing with no overhead protection. They are housed just a few feet away from my living room windows; they also "free range" outside the run most of the day when I'm home. It's far from secure, but I ALWAYS put them in the coop when I'm not able to keep an eye on them.

Congratulations on your build! What lucky ducks!

It is very nice hard to believe your first build. I would def put some type of latch on the backs that can be lifted. And some type of ventilation in the coop area. they need really good ventilation. And yes if Mine it would have to have hardware cloth over the poultry fencing since it won't keep out predators.
I am only giving my 2cents not trying to take away from the good job you did.
Advice isn't criticism.

It is very nice hard to believe your first build. I would def put some type of latch on the backs that can be lifted. And some type of ventilation in the coop area. they need really good ventilation. And yes if Mine it would have to have hardware cloth over the poultry fencing since it won't keep out predators.
I am only giving my 2cents not trying to take away from the good job you did.
Advice isn't criticism.
Thank you! The panel on the housing portion comes off so I can shovel out the bedding easily and have sticky tile down for easy cleaning/moooing if needed.I’m actually going to duplicate a smaller version on the other side (so they’ll have two houses) that I’ll incorporate some more ventilation per your suggestions.

They free range during the day and I put them up at sundown or shortly after.

I have a game camera and have only seen one coyote and one fox before I got the ducks. We don’t seem to have any raccoons in our area which surprises me. We do have some small hawks around and definitely owls. The vultures have posted up to steal some of their water before. Our dogs do a good job keeping most things away and I’ve got some flashing LEDs around the outside( makes it look like a spaceship at night), but it’s meant as a deterrent as well.

I put some solar LEDs on the inside of the outdoor pen that come on after dark to attract bugs for some night time hunting and shenanigans.

I like the nighttime spaceship image! And that you are encouraging "shenanigans."

Some years ago, after I lost birds to a mink, I put up Nite Guard flashing solar lights on all four sides of the duck shelter. Although some on BYC said those lights wouldn't be a deterrent -- and maybe it is just coincidental that I haven't had to deal with another mink -- having them makes me feel better.

Vultures are pretty big birds; I think that would rattle me a bit to have them so close. Mine, luckily, stay up high in the sky where they belong.

Same here I've never seen a vulture down here close to the house. Hawks are enough.
They sure are huge birds though and make my flock stand and take notice. Just like when anything else flies over including jets. lol
I have some of those night guard lights and also solar lights that work on motion.

Back
Top Bottom