My first goose egg? Or a double yolker duck?

It´s a very strange-looking goose egg. Is it really shiny as in the photo? Are you sure someone isn´t playing a trick on you? Maybe there´s a little bag of chocolates inside!
big_smile.png

It would seem my birds are reading these posts and are playing tricks on ME!....these last days I´ve had two tiny eggs from the chickens, and then the day after there was one tiny egg from a duck! I can´t post pic yet, as internet is very slow, but I will try next week. THEY LOOK LIKE THEY SHOULD HAVE CHOCOLATE INSIDE!
big_smile.png

It would seem my birds are reading these posts and are playing tricks on ME!....these last days I´ve had two tiny eggs from the chickens, and then the day after there was one tiny egg from a duck! I can´t post pic yet, as internet is very slow, but I will try next week. THEY LOOK LIKE THEY SHOULD HAVE CHOCOLATE INSIDE!
big_smile.png
Sounds good to me, my girls are starting to make a comeback after a very hard molt. [chickens] but so far no chocolate in any of them. No duck eggs since Sept.

Sounds good to me, my girls are starting to make a comeback after a very hard molt. [chickens] but so far no chocolate in any of them. No duck eggs since Sept.
My muscovies lay pretty well all year, apart from when they´re raising the ducklings, of course. But, then, this is their original home, so I suppose the weather is right for them. They don´t have a season. They lay, sit, raise ducklings, lay..... I have two ducks sitting on 2 eggs each at the moment, the other eggs I´m busy collecting and I sell them.

I´m so glad he cooked it up, I was dying to know if had little chocolates inside!
lol.png
I have two chickens that have just started laying again after their rest, and their eggs are like little quails´eggs in size! I´d need about 12 of them to make a decent omelette!
i have 13 layer BRs and im barely getting 3 eggs a day and they used to be nice big eggs - they are a March 2013 Hatch so this is their first fall/ winter and i heard they arent old enough to molt yet ? im prolly wrong . only their necks seem to be changing feathers but 3/13 egg is killin me . some times i do get 4 even 5 eggs but they are like Bantam egg size haha im like wth?! is this normal ?

the goose egg was a different color and textured shell and she layed a soft shelled one that froze in the -2 degrees temps when they were in the yard , i noticed it when they all got up from their huddle . i brought it in and microwaved it - right in its soft shell - science lol - it cooked right in there like a hard boiled egg! and puffed up like a marshmallow! hahahaha then i put it in a bowl and crumbled it and gave it to all the ducks chickens and geese . special treat on a very cold day!

i have 13 layer BRs and im barely getting 3 eggs a day and they used to be nice big eggs - they are a March 2013 Hatch so this is their first fall/ winter and i heard they arent old enough to molt yet ? im prolly wrong . only their necks seem to be changing feathers but 3/13 egg is killin me . some times i do get 4 even 5 eggs but they are like Bantam egg size haha im like wth?! is this normal ?

the goose egg was a different color and textured shell and she layed a soft shelled one that froze in the -2 degrees temps when they were in the yard , i noticed it when they all got up from their huddle . i brought it in and microwaved it - right in its soft shell - science lol - it cooked right in there like a hard boiled egg! and puffed up like a marshmallow! hahahaha then i put it in a bowl and crumbled it and gave it to all the ducks chickens and geese . special treat on a very cold day!
Sounds like fun with the egg!
lol.png
!!Just be patient with the laying, they´ll get back to it. I have some ISA browns, Rock-mixes and Brahmas, so I have a fairly constant supply of eggs, but even the ISA browns have their breaks. Right now I have 2 out of 3 moulting Rock-crosses laying, and 3 out of 5 non-moulting ISAs laying! The brahmas are brooding. Some days I pick up 7 eggs, some days just 2!
sad.png

About 2 months ago I went to a place that sells birds. It´s all very pretty there and they´re well looked-after, but they charge a packet and I refuse to pay those prices, so I asked him if he had any brahma eggs for sale that the chickens had laid. He said that as it was raining the chickens wouldn´t lay. OK, interesting I thought. So I paid more attention to mine, and I think it´s a theory that´s a bit hit-and-miss. Maybe there´s something to it.

Also, the shortest day has a lot to do with it, and it´s just around the corner! When the days start getting longer, you´ll see them start to lay again.

Sounds like fun with the egg!
lol.png
!!Just be patient with the laying, they´ll get back to it. I have some ISA browns, Rock-mixes and Brahmas, so I have a fairly constant supply of eggs, but even the ISA browns have their breaks. Right now I have 2 out of 3 moulting Rock-crosses laying, and 3 out of 5 non-moulting ISAs laying! The brahmas are brooding. Some days I pick up 7 eggs, some days just 2!
sad.png

About 2 months ago I went to a place that sells birds. It´s all very pretty there and they´re well looked-after, but they charge a packet and I refuse to pay those prices, so I asked him if he had any brahma eggs for sale that the chickens had laid. He said that as it was raining the chickens wouldn´t lay. OK, interesting I thought. So I paid more attention to mine, and I think it´s a theory that´s a bit hit-and-miss. Maybe there´s something to it.

Also, the shortest day has a lot to do with it, and it´s just around the corner! When the days start getting longer, you´ll see them start to lay again.
i had noticed that too . rain makes a difference , so does heat and def cold haha i sell my eggs from my chickens - the extras anyways and the extra duck eggs too so the customer demand has me keeping a very close eye on production but on the other hand i dont have a light or anything to increase it because i want it to be natural - its just all new to me - being my first year in the business n all - thanks for all the advice!!

i had noticed that too . rain makes a difference , so does heat and def cold haha i sell my eggs from my chickens - the extras anyways and the extra duck eggs too so the customer demand has me keeping a very close eye on production but on the other hand i dont have a light or anything to increase it because i want it to be natural - its just all new to me - being my first year in the business n all - thanks for all the advice!!
Customer demand,
tongue.png
I started selling my extra eggs locally to my friends, then they told more friends....well most free-range egg suppliers around here are are just the farmers whose wives or kids go hunting about most days to collect eggs. Needless to say, some customers get some nasty surprises when they crack them open! My eggs are collected every day so they´re really nice and I have more people that want them than I have eggs...so, when I don´t have enough I tell them that the hens are resting and they just have to wait! It´s only a few weeks. At the moment although my chickens are doing funny things, my muscovies are being productive, so I´m doing a mixed dozen eggs, half and half, and muscovy eggs are very popular here.

I have 16 hens 4 BA's hatched April of this year, 8 EE's spring of 2012, 3 bantams 1 is going on 6yrs old and still lays irregularly , 2 are from 2012 hatches and 1 light Brahma hen who isn't laying anymore but loves to go sit on others eggs then gets up and sings the egg song like she laid. she was 4 this past Oct. on Sunday I got 8 eggs first time since August I collected that many today 5. Hopefully it will pick up more after 1st of the year. I usually get lots of Muscovy eggs in spring thru summer but no one likes duck eggs so I usually give them to the food bank or use them for baking or feed to the dogs.

livin your Scovy eggs do you sell for hatching and eating?

I have 16 hens 4 BA's hatched April of this year, 8 EE's spring of 2012, 3 bantams 1 is going on 6yrs old and still lays irregularly , 2 are from 2012 hatches and 1 light Brahma hen who isn't laying anymore but loves to go sit on others eggs then gets up and sings the egg song like she laid. she was 4 this past Oct. on Sunday I got 8 eggs first time since August I collected that many today 5. Hopefully it will pick up more after 1st of the year. I usually get lots of Muscovy eggs in spring thru summer but no one likes duck eggs so I usually give them to the food bank or use them for baking or feed to the dogs.

livin your Scovy eggs do you sell for hatching and eating?
Hi MLyd, as so many have muscovies here it´s difficult to sell them. Sometimes people will buy ducklings, but I think it´s more for the funof it, sometimes for eating, but generally if people want to eat them they also raise them. The meat is very nice, by the way. There are number of older folks here that don´t have the space for muscovies, but like their eggs. There are some cake recipes that only muscovy eggs will do it right, and some eat the eggs because of the higher iron content. A number of older folks like to take it raw beaten with something or other to treat anaemia. My friend was pregnant and wanted to do this for the iron, but I told her it wasn´t a good idea, even moreso that she´s pregnant. So, they don´t buy them for hatching, just for eating
I have a tiny little light brahma chick that´s fighting for its life. Only one out of six eggs survived to hatch. And this single chick got separated somehow from the chicken last night and ended up down the side of the nestbox, between the straw and the wood. When I went out to check this morning, I couldn´t find it anywhere. So, I started to pull the old hay out of the nest, and there was its little body. But it was limp, so I knew it was alive. After a minute or so I could feel the heartbeat. It´s slowly improving, I don´t know yet if it´ll survive. It´s a nuisance, because I bought these brahma eggs to introduce new blood to mine, and so far it´s not gone very well. These are the ones that I had to put under a duck because the hen that I had intended to use got a wound and came off the nest the same day that I bought the eggs. Well, a lizard came and visited the duck, because two of the eggs vanished, so I moved the remaining 4 to a hen which by now had also gone broody. Of these, just the one hatched., and she let it get cold! (After a while the duck eggs also vanished, that´s why I think it was a lizard.)
Also, because I had no broody hen still after a week, I put another 6 eggs under another duck, and then when another hen went broody, I popped them under her and left the duck with 2 duck eggs. 2 of those 6 have gone bad so far, the remaining 4 are due to hatch next week. I have a feeling the whole thing will turn out to be a waste of time. Life´s never dull, eh?

Back
Top Bottom