My first hatch! 3 out of 20 so far! Now what?!

dmdhart

Songster
10 Years
Jun 12, 2009
Millwood, VA
I'm so excited, 3 eggs have hatched - on the actual hatch day no less, but now what do I do? One of the chicks got into the water, so I pulled the trays out and replaced them with a clean wet sponge and some damp paper towels. So far the humidity is staying up. I was thinking of moving the chicks that have hatched. What temperature should they be kept at. My heat lamp JUST broke, so I'll have to use a regular light bulb. Or do I leave them in the incubator? Help!

It's best to leave them in the incubator until the hatch is over. And keep the incubator closed, you don't want shrink wrapped babies. The new chicks can stay in the incubator without food and water for 3 days. Good luck, and congrats!

I still just have 3 babies. I had to open the incubator to get the dishes of water out and replace them with a sponge. I guess in the future I'll know to do that before the hatch date. Does that mean the other eggs don't have a chance of hatching? How does that "shrink wrap" the chicks?

Quote:
They will probably be fine, but from day 18 on you shouldn't open the incubator as it lets the humidity escape, and can cause the membrane around the chick to dry and shrink around the baby. I think as long as the other eggs don't have pips yet, they will be fine.

Yes, make any opening of the incubator as quick as possible and remember, they are more resiliant than you would expect. Keep interference to a minimum, though,as they really don't need our help on the whole,
Sandie

Hi, I am new to the forum, I have started incubating my chickens eggs. I started them on April 30, one hatched on May 23...Does anyone know why it took so long? I stopped turning them on the 18th, I have another one peeping in its egg now. One began peeping and pipped on Saturday with the one that hatched, today I noticed it had stopped, and tried to help it out, but I think it is dead. The membrane was very dry. I don't know if the humidity is right in the incubator, (a home made styrofoam one) , heat stays about 95 on average, occasionally it had gotten a bit higher and I opened the lid enough to help the fan cool it down. The one chick that is hatched is adorable, it is in the brooder now, and comes to me when I talk to it, as I talked to it from the time I heard it peeping in its shell. It has taken a bit of water, but no feed yet, but pecks at everything, so I think when it is hungry it will do fine. The one peeping in its shell started today, so how long should I wait before I try to help this one out? I really don't want to lose another one, it has already been 26 days in the incubator.

First, more people will see your question if you post it as a new topic. I'm fairly new to this, but the temp should be between 99.5 and 101. The humidity should be 65% and then when you lock down it should be raised to I think 85%. Helping the chicks out is a very bad idea.

I am now up to 7 peeps! None of the other eggs are moving, or have any signs of hatching. How long should I give them?

Quote:
Thanks, I will keep the temp at 100, it seems easier if it stays there. Humidity is my biggest problem, the first chick did very well on its own. Just waiting on this next one to pip, it is peeping, but no sign of pip yet.

Quote:
Wow, that is high humidity. I only 45% then up it to 65%. If it's working for you, that is great, but if your hatch doesn't got well, try bringing down the humidity.

Back
Top Bottom