My first hatch... had to amputate a silver laced wyandotte chick's leg... feeling sad now....

HorseLady1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Am I mean? I amputated a chick's (three days old) left leg just a couple minutes ago due to slipped tendon that ,despite four hours daily for it's first days, was getting worse. (BTW this is with one handed typing because every time I set it down in the towel on my lap it will chirp extremely loud, so excuse my typing mistakes please) I will have to kill a chick soon due to it not being able to move (both feet have something wrong with them), I feel terrible and don't know if my decision was right or not... I mean, after I cut it off with clean and dry scissors (just washed), I dipped the stub in corn starch, cut the ends of a Band-Aid off (only using the pad, put that over after the bleeding (bled slightly) stopped, and wrapped in 6 in by 1/4 inch piece of vet-rap. So the procedure went fine... But was I right to do this instead of culling? The main reason I couldn't kill it was because not only were these birds from show lines, but they were heritage and the amount of time I put into them, long story short I grew attached. I know how to kill animals so I wasn't afraid, I live on a farm for Pete's sake, but more like thought I could give him a chance to live semi-normally. So I have twelve chicks and only two had/have leg problems... The other well my family decided we will cull it because it has leg deformities in both... So anyway I'm putting this up to know if what I did was right or not and if I should have culled it. Also has anyone else had bad hatches before? I feel kind of bad that this is how my first is going... Anyone else feel that way?
he.gif

Which part? The leg condition before-hand or the amputation?
Am I a bad person??
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom