My First Hatch - The Adventure Begins

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all of the replies to my post so far, with the good wishes and great advice. I will keep you all updated as I try to candle the eggs, and monitor their weight loss throughout the incubation.

Regards Bob

I started with this
63768_coop_5_002.jpg

Oh my gosh, I have quail pen envy!!! Help! Those are stunning pens, and your quail must be very, very happy.

I have only the five quail, and only two are in my main pen right now. It's an awesome pen for them, but between the chain link and the hardware cloth, it's rather an eye sore for we humans. Yours are the nicest quail pens I may ever have laid eyes on. Well done!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thanks, I guess your speaking to me. I believe in big pens no crowding allowed. The big pen is called Bob Whites House. I built the pen from mainly recycled material. Obviously, the deck is new wood for safety reasons. The deck has been a life saver it provides shade for the Bob's. The heat this summer is unreal.

Quote:
Thanks, I guess your speaking to me. I believe in big pens no crowding allowed. The big pen is called Bob Whites House. I built the pen from mainly recycled material. Obviously, the deck is new wood for safety reasons. The deck has been a life saver it provides shade for the Bob's. The heat this summer is unreal.

Yeah, that was for you.
smile.png
Sorry I wasn't more clear. It's great to see someone with a larger quantity of birds taking your attitude. I don't have a problem with battery cages and the like if they're well maintained etc., but it's nice to think that some people are trying it a little differently.
smile.png

Quote:

Yeah, that was for you.
smile.png
Sorry I wasn't more clear. It's great to see someone with a larger quantity of birds taking your attitude. I don't have a problem with battery cages and the like if they're well maintained etc., but it's nice to think that some people are trying it a little differently.
smile.png

I want the birds to not stress out. If you look behind my quail pen there's another big pen. This coop is called Casa de Huevos its 330 sq ft. & houses 16 pullets sure there's room for more but these birds are very happy in their coop stress free & lay like crazy. I free range them everyday for 3 hours right before dusk. They never venture more than fifty feet from their coop. They are happy girls. My point is birds do better with more space. That's what I've learned & observed.

Quote:
Yeah, that was for you.
smile.png
smile.png

I want the birds to not stress out. If you look behind my quail pen there's another big pen. This coop is called Casa de Huevos its 330 sq ft. & houses 16 pullets sure there's room for more but these birds are very happy in their coop stress free & lay like crazy. I free range them everyday for 3 hours right before dusk. They never venture more than fifty feet from their coop. They are happy girls. My point is birds do better with more space. That's what I've learned & observed.

I completely agree. If you have the right set up, an aviary style life for quail gives them the most natural habitat that you can offer them. They stress out so much less. My Bob's are very tame and not afraid of me, which I believe is because of the freedom they have within the aviary. They don't feel as threatened by my presence when they have room to be alone if they choose, or come looking for treats. Great set up 7L Farm!
smile.png

7L--Do I hear correctly that you let your quail free range for a little while in the evening? Or are those chicken pullets? I've always heard you simply CAN'T let quail range or they won't come back... so I've never tried. Is that different if the birds are happy?

Back
Top Bottom