My first hatch

bya1305

Chirping
Oct 27, 2018
Fresno, CA
Hey everyone! Just joined today and for those who haven't seen my intro post, I'm Josh and I'm from central California. I just purchased my first house and that has allowed me to start my dream of novice homesteading. Of course I need chickens! After putting in all the extra research prior to purchase, and numerous youtube videos, I must say that I am looking forward to the chickens so much more than I thought I would. I caught the end of season due to the timing of my home purchase and was able to order some day old chicks that are due Nov. 5. While searching for them I found hatching eggs with some cool breeds that weren't available as day old chicks. I also talked to a couple of friends who had been wanting some more chickens but weren't able to purchase the minimum chicks for an order. So I ordered some eggs. I took into account the assumption that shipped egg hatch rates sat at about 50% and tacked on some more negative thoughts to bring expected hatch rate to about 25%. Here is what I have:

10 welsummer
7 Easter eggers
1 mystery(can't read stamp)
1 blue andalusian
1 rhode island red
1 buff orpington
1 black australorp
These were from 1 supplier and the singles plus 1 easter egger was part of a mystery pack

I also have 12 lavender orpingtons from a smaller homestead business

The welsummers were completely impossible for me to see anything. I thought I was able to see at least part of the air cell on one. I am not overly optimistic about this batch. In most pictures of candled eggs, the air cells are bright and obvious, I didn't really see that illuminated cap on any of mine. There were quite a few "saddles" and the few that I made out to have regular circular shape seemed very watery and shaky as the egg rotated. I will try to attach the pictures I took before putting them in the incubator tonight that show some traces of what I believed to be the air cell on some of the eggs. I also bought these as a fun learning experience and project to do with my 3 year old son. I really hope I might be able to get 1 hatched so he can see. He is very excited about every aspect of this so far, and at least no matter the outcome of the hatch he will get to see some day olds in a couple weeks. I also hope to get some sussex (light or speckled) whenever I possibly can. I had 6 light eggs coming to me that were slated for thursday arrival but thanks to the constantly disappointing postal service they made their way so far off route and have been in transit from 2 states away for the last two days..not happy at all. Oh and since I saw a lot of loose and odd shaped air cells, I decided to incubate all the eggs as if they had detached air cells. I have them all upright and my moving will consist of tilting them to their other side and slowly rotating them slightly. If anyone has any other advice, I will take anything!

So the carton of 12 are my lavender orpington eggs. The other box contains the rest. I I tried my best to outline what I could see on the eggs of their air cells. The other markings are little guesses of viability, Y=yes M=maybe N=no chance. Just thought a little guessing would be fun. I have a computer fan inside blowing up toward the roof of the incubator.

20181027_174325.jpg 20181027_174329.jpg 20181027_174343.jpg 20181027_174356.jpg 20181027_174410.jpg 20181027_174414.jpg 20181027_174417.jpg 20181027_174422.jpg 20181027_174425.jpg 20181027_174428.jpg 20181027_174442.jpg 20181027_175108.jpg 20181027_175154.jpg

Good luck with first hatch. It can take a few incubation runs to understand how to run your incubator properly and zone in on the correct humidity and temps. Use 2 or 3 different thermometers to get an accurate reading. If this hatch doesnt work out dont give up. Buy some cheap fertile local eggs and try again until you get the jest of it. Also invest in an egg turner, makes it 10000000X easier, and hygromter for humidity.

Egg turner
https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovat...F8&qid=1540697797&sr=8-14&keywords=egg+turner

And a hygrometer to keep tract of humidity.
https://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Oasis-...0&sr=8-14&keywords=hygrometer#customerReviews

You can also convert your incubator into a digital incubator very easily with this product.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-...ns&keywords=thermostat+humidity+control&psc=1

Also I ordered shipped eggs 3 times if I recall correctly. Only had 2 chicks hatch out of about 60 shipped eggs in all. One never thrived and died at about 1 year old. The other one did fine. I just dont do shipped eggs any more not worth the wasted cost. Ive had a friend buy shipped eggs several times and he used a nice sportsman incubator, I think he got about 25% hatch rate at best. I hope you have better luck, but if not dont take it personally!

So the egg turner I decided to go without for now. I am a full time student and I also work from home as a web developer, so I'm home all day and can rotate the eggs. I have 4 thermometers in there right now, 1 is the simple plastic one that comes with the incubator and the other 3 are thermometer/hygrometer that has temp and humidity on it, all different models. Yea I wasn't able to easily locate any local eggs in my free time the last few weeks but I will continue looking.

So the egg turner I decided to go without for now. I am a full time student and I also work from home as a web developer, so I'm home all day and can rotate the eggs. I have 4 thermometers in there right now, 1 is the simple plastic one that comes with the incubator and the other 3 are thermometer/hygrometer that has temp and humidity on it, all different models. Yea I wasn't able to easily locate any local eggs in my free time the last few weeks but I will continue looking.
Did you calibrate at least one to make sure the others are correct?
Did you also calibrate the humidity gauge with salt dish/zip lock bag?

Good luck!
The most important is calibrated instruments.

Did you add your own fan to the bator?
I use a styrofoam bator with no fan, so I am not so convinced a fan is needed.

So one of my hygrometer was calibrated because it is one I used for my humidor, so I had already done it before. The stick thermometer that came with it measures the same temp as the rest within 1 degree. Two of the digital ones just give a solid number and the third one gives one decimal point. The one with the decimal point has its whole number match the other two consistently. For example, if the one reads 99.6, the other two read 99. If it reads 100.2, the others read 100.

Good luck with first hatch. It can take a few incubation runs to understand how to run your incubator properly and zone in on the correct humidity and temps. Use 2 or 3 different thermometers to get an accurate reading. If this hatch doesnt work out dont give up. Buy some cheap fertile local eggs and try again until you get the jest of it. Also invest in an egg turner, makes it 10000000X easier, and hygromter for humidity.

Egg turner
https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovat...F8&qid=1540697797&sr=8-14&keywords=egg+turner

And a hygrometer to keep tract of humidity.
https://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Oasis-...0&sr=8-14&keywords=hygrometer#customerReviews

You can also convert your incubator into a digital incubator very easily with this product.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-...ns&keywords=thermostat+humidity+control&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom