My first hatchlings

Portia

Songster
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
South Central PA
My Speckled Sussex has been in her nest box for 23 days, after day 2 I put all the eggs I collected underneath her...just for fun. She has been very diligent, taking a bit of time off the nest each day to relieve herself and forage a bit. She has also been more than happy to eat a bit of food each day that I set into the next box. Last night I heard a peep, and lo....a chick! This morning there were 2 more and 2 pips. At this point there are 5 chicks and another pipping egg.
love.gif

The roo is a SLW, and the hens are SLW, SS, BA, BR and Welsummer. Should be some interesting chicks. I already identified one as a BR mix, a BA mix, a SLW and an SS or Welsummer mix. More to come as they hatch out.
Here she is with a few of the offspring.
IMGP6621.jpg

IMGP6615.jpg

IMGP6611.jpg

Anyone need some chicks??

Well done To your hen! if I lived nearby I would have a couple of chicks as my poor little broody has only hatched one chick that is fading fast:(

Aww Pett, That is what I anticipated from this, being her first brood ever; she's only just 6 months old. Still, I'm not surprised because we candled them at a week & 2 weeks and saw some development. This morning there's a Welsummer X hatching out. Mamma sussex was helping it along by picking at the shell and nuzzling its little beak. So cute. I wish you luck on your little peep, sorry to hear s/he is fading :aww

Aww thank you for your concern I'm glad your momma hen has had better luck than mine she looks so content with her little chicks
I got some advice from the kind folks on here and now have a little bit of hope for my solitary chick.
I so want my hen to have a reward for all that hard work.

Back
Top Bottom