My First Home-Made Incubator!

NoVA Chicks

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Falls Church, VA
Following instructions on another thread, I made an incubator today out of an old Coleman electric cooler. I'm just way too proud of myself.
roll.png
big_smile.png
Really, though, it was pretty simple. The worst part was drilling through the cooler. The inside is like styrofoam and the little pieces cling to everything. I had the cooler, which comes with a fan and heating element. I cannibalized an aquarium heater for the thermostat. I was trying to find one or something similar but got impatient and just went out and bought one for $20.

So far it's working great and I just need to get the temp stabilized and it will be ready to go. I'm getting eggs Thursday or Friday. I've had some spectacularly unsuccessful hatches with my Little Giant so I'm really excited to see if I do better with this one.
fl.gif

I have seen others on BYC that have cannabalized an aquarium heater. I just built my incubator this weekend and am waiting for it to stabalize before setting eggs. My husband suggested the aquarium heater but we did not modify it. We put it in a stainless steel container that holds about a gallon(like something they would use in a commercial kitchen). We set the temp for right aroundd 99-100 degrees. I also have a 40 watt bulb and a PC fan.

Back
Top Bottom