My first pasty butts and "anatomy" question...

kwm6620

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2015
Mississippi
Day two with my 9 girls and I just noticed two had a little pasty butt. I think I've got it cleaned off well enough. The vent is clear but there is still a little hard poop on the feathers below. I tried to get it softened up enough to get it off but didn't want to do more harm than good...at least I know the vent is clear because I could see it "winking" at me. :) I was hoping I wasn't going to have to deal with that but I know now I need to watch them closely.
Which leads to my next question..I noticed below the vent is another "hole" that had a little black spot on it. I'm assuming this is where the umbilical cord was attached? I didn't bother it because I think I had read somewhere not to mess with it?

I'm also stressing a little about the heat lamp. There's enough room for them to move away from it and they seem to stay on the opposite end of the light. So I'm thinking that it may be too warm (don't have a thermometer) but when I cut off the light they seem to huddle together like they're cold. So is maybe a little too warm better than too cold (they are inside)?

This is so crazy...i'm like a worried first-time dad! LOL

You are right in thinking that was probably the umbilical cord. DO NOT MESS WITH IT! I have heard stories of people who tried to 'remove' it and ended up killing their chicks by disembowelment.......(Shudder) It will fall off in a couple days anyway, so it's nothing to worry about. You should put a thermometer in the brooder (near the bottom, to get an accurate temp.) and if it is to warm, don't turn off the lamp, instead, raise it a few inches and check on it later.

You are right in thinking that was probably the umbilical cord. DO NOT MESS WITH IT! I have heard stories of people who tried to 'remove' it and ended up killing their chicks by disembowelment.......(Shudder) It will fall off in a couple days anyway, so it's nothing to worry about. You should put a thermometer in the brooder (near the bottom, to get an accurate temp.) and if it is to warm, don't turn off the lamp, instead, raise it a few inches and check on it later.
X2. The little cord will deal with itself, nothing to worry about. :) I would try again tomorrow with the poop that's still on their little feathers, because it can kind of build up on top of it and block the vent again. If you soak their little bums and then kind of squeeze (gently!) the poop while they are nice and moist it comes off a little bit easier. Then you can put a little dab of vaseline on there if necessary, but it will likely just clear up on it's own soon. :) Pasty butt can also be caused by being too warm or too cold (in addition to the shipping stress which is probably what is going on now). If they are always staying away from the light, just raise it up a bit. They should just be happily going about their business, not huddled on one side or the other. :) Congratulations on the new peepers!!

Back
Top Bottom