My first peafowls

Wilchild54

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 4, 2013
Clarksville Tn.
Iv always wanted an Indian Blue Peacock and just got 8 eggs delivered today every one please cross your fingers for a good hatch as I have a problem facing me with these eggs . They were flown out Tampa Fl. to Nashville Tn. this is a No No with hatchling eggs . When a plane takes off they pressurize it, this pressure is enough to crush the yoke in the egg because as we all know egg shells are porous... Here is one of the Breeders that were concerned about Airmail ......OF GREAT CONCERN: Normally when a company such as the US Postal Service improves procedures to make packages arrive quicker and more efficiently it is a good thing. However, after shipping several auctions I have some great concerns. It seems that packages that used to take 4-5 days for delivery are in fact arriving in just two days. Great travel time if you are sending a last minute wedding gift, not so good for EGGS. It appears the post office is now using much more air travel when shipping across country. Eggs often suffer decompression damage internally when put on a plane. When we get on a plane we have to pop our ears on take off and landing. Since the egg can not relieve the pressure changes, it can damage the yolk or even cause air sac displacement. Eggs are porous, but the egg shell does not exchange air fast enough to equalize the air pressure of take-offs and landings. There is no way to request ground only travel with priority mail. I strongly recommend that you consider paying the extra money for UPS ground or Fedex ground delivery Priority mail is still available at check out but if the yolk is ruptured or the air sac displaced that would be beyond my control

Last edited:
Iv always wanted an Indian Blue Peacock and just got 8 eggs delivered today every one please cross your fingers for a good hatch as I have a problem facing me with these eggs . They were flown out Tampa Fl. to Nashville Tn. this is a No No with hatchling eggs . When a plane takes off they pressurize it, this pressure is enough to crush the yoke in the egg because as we all know egg shells are porous...

Not necessarily, I just received 6 that left CA yesterday morning and arrived in PA this morning. I checked them with a strong led flashlight and the yolks appear intact, at least the ones that are clear enough for me to see it are. I'm certain these were flown here.
fl.gif
But I will keep my fingers crossed for your's and mine!

Iv always wanted an Indian Blue Peacock and just got 8 eggs delivered today every one please cross your fingers for a good hatch as I have a problem facing me with these eggs . They were flown out Tampa Fl. to Nashville Tn. this is a No No with hatchling eggs . When a plane takes off they pressurize it, this pressure is enough to crush the yoke in the egg because as we all know egg shells are porous...
ep.gif
Ya know when i open up my cabinet bator i get a pressure blast and most all my eggs hatch so i would not be to concerned, if it were that bad all the passengers would have ruptured ear drums and they would not be able to transport wildlife and other critters, just sayen
cool.png

Congrats for your peafowl eggs. I've had a lot of experience hatching them. I would recommend keeping them vertical in an egg carton with the pointy end down. cut a hole in the egg carton cup to ensure air can pass over the egg. a big problem with shipped eggs is air cell problems including detachment. that happened to every one of my chicken eggs that were shipped but i placed them vertical and had a near-perfect hatch. good luck with your eggies! 28 days may seem like a while to hatch but it's totally worth it! :D

Many people ship them marked to go into the "LIVE" section of the plane's cargo area.... where they put cats, dogs and such, and pack them in coarse sawdust. The sawdust acts as a buffer. I have researched this and it appears people have great success. There are many breeders in Tennessee, I would look for local eggs!

Congrats for your peafowl eggs. I've had a lot of experience hatching them. I would recommend keeping them vertical in an egg carton with the pointy end down. cut a hole in the egg carton cup to ensure air can pass over the egg. a big problem with shipped eggs is air cell problems including detachment. that happened to every one of my chicken eggs that were shipped but i placed them vertical and had a near-perfect hatch. good luck with your eggies! 28 days may seem like a while to hatch but it's totally worth it!
big_smile.png
I sent out some eggs and packed them pointy side down and got a report that all of them were developing on one order so far so i think this may be why, i have more reports to get so we will see how it goes for my first time shipping ever.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom