My first Q: Visiting Roos

grampaspipsqueak

Hatching
11 Years
Feb 23, 2008
West Coast, CA
Hi,
I'm in the learning about raising chickens for eggs (and pets:D) stage of the game. I have a dilemma. My husband doesn't like the idea of waking to the cock-a-doodles each morning, nor will close-by neighbors. Here's my Q.
What is the possibility - I mean, would it even work - to have a visiting rooster once or twice a year? Please don't laugh! It sounds ridiculous I know. But has anyone ever heard of this? I've got houses just steps away and right across the fence...

I thought of speaking with the neighbors once this idea of raising chickens is intact, to get their input...
It's a nice size yard with gardening beds, shed, some shade, with areas of bark for the coop...really perfect.

I'll wait to hear from anyone out there in BYC.
pop.gif

Thanks!

HI!
This is not the first time someone has had this idea so no we don't think you're crazy.

The concept would work, but there are problems.

Anytime you bring in a new chicken it needs to be put into quarantine away from your chickens for 4 weeks to maintain bio security.

If you skip this step you risk introducing illness into your existing flock and could very well loose the whole flock.

Woa. Good words of advice. I guess if I decide to bring up some more chickens I can always buy some and introduce them using the 4 week quarantine while they mature. I sure have some reading to do.
caf.gif

I can certainly appreciate hens not welcoming some ol' rooster for a spell... (more than I can say for some of my human gender!)

I sure appreciate the input from your experience.

Many thanks.

If you buy babies and raise them up from day olds, they don't need to be quarantined before introduction unless they were hatched out from a broody and was under an adult hen.

RedRooster,

I just read your link Dealing with Roosters - I learned quite a bit: Roosters and Toddlers are equally difficult! And worse, Toddlers don't have enough bird-brains to improve under such excellent advice! (ha ha)

Back
Top Bottom