My First Quail Hatching

Congratulations on your hatch! How many chicks did you end up getting?
I put mine in lockdown yesterday, but I'm worried they might have been fried - I took their temp with the ear thermometer before putting them in lockdown and several of them were around 103 F - I have no clue how long they've been that hot. The incubator read 100 F. Lowered the incubator temp to 99.3 F and this morning the eggs read around 98 F.. I have 37 eggs in there that seemed fertile at day 8, so hopefully some of them have survived.
It's funny you said that! In the beginning of our incubation I completely trusted the incubator. Then I read on here to check with another thermometer and it was soo off! I remember the night between day 15 and day 16 waking my husband up crying because I was convinced I'd killed them. lol I was so upset with myself for not knowing that I needed a hydrometer, I didn't double check the temp for the first two days. I was sure I'd killed them all. lol Then Day 16 in the middle of the night (hubby got back from the city late and woke me up saying I should come down stairs. There was one little fluff already out and pretty fluffy with a second one unzipping. In the end we had 24 batch but one didn't make it. (It was my fault. I screwed up and I feel really bad about that but in the middle of the problem I found the thread I should have known about that probably would have saved the little guy) So we have 23 little fluffs that are already super cute and running. I love that their newest trick is that they quickly flap their little wings when they run.

Ohh, I'm so looking forward to it! Yes, it's crazy how much you worry about those eggs! I've been reading the quail section of BYC for a couple of years now though, so I've read enough stories to know that even if I do mess up I'm still likely to get at least a few chicks with 30+ fertile eggs. Starting when I get home tomorrow I expect to spend the majority of my time staring at the incubator :pop I timed it when I set the eggs, so they were likely to hatch during the weekend so I'd be home to watch :p
Loosing only 1 from a batch of 24 is pretty good too. If I do manage to hatch any I hope I'll do that good as well :)

I have 5 babies in the incubator now and several pipped eggs, so I didn't fry them all ^^ Though they were a little early so the temp has probably been a bit high.
..and one of them has pooped in the incubator already.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom