1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My First Quilt

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Zahboo, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Yes! I finally made my first quilt. This one is for me, since I wanted to keep my first one. The next one is for my cousin's baby, and then whatever else I find to make. This is a 5 block x 5 block rag quilt. It's not finished, still needs to be frayed and the border. Please be HONEST about what you think. I want to make my quilts nice, but fun.

Laying the squares out
    [​IMG]

Closeup of fabric
    [​IMG]

First Chain
    [​IMG]

It gets bigger
    [​IMG]

And bigger
    [​IMG]

And BIGGER (full size)
    [​IMG]

I [​IMG] quilting
    [​IMG]

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

AWESOME!!!!! (reels in another quilt-aholic)

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Quote:Yall did that a week ago LOL. I finally got my sewing machine and 5 hours later my quilt [​IMG] I can't thank byc enough, yall are the only people I learned from!

4. LAMchop

LAMchop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    beautiful! I love the black and white bird print.

my first quilt has been a work in progress for over a year... I envy people that can finish projects! [​IMG]

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Thank you. I liked the birds and couldn't find something to go with it. I am not a matcher by far and the person I went with wasn't fascinated by fabric [​IMG] The next quilt someone is donating fabrics, but after that I think I will be doing one similar to this, but brighter

6. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Holy moly! What have you been sewing non-stop? You took to quilting........QUICK! Looks great!

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Very nice! [​IMG]

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Who? ME?! Sew nonstop??? Ummm I don't know what you're talking about [​IMG]

And I told you, I gotta see it to be able to do it [​IMG] Now I feel better about the strippey pattern

and TY

9. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Congrats!
    My first quilt was a strip quilt. It lasted for about 5 years. My husband let our dog use it. [​IMG] That was the end of my quilt. Now I just have my mom make them.

Oh I was going to ask if you knew of any actual quilt shops around here. I know there is one in pinehurst. The rest are joanns or micheals that I have seen. And have you been to the gigantic fabric store over near Charlotte? The name escapes me.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I love rag quilts they let me hide my mistakes, lol. You should join our next strip quilt swap sometime in Feb or March.

Don't worry about matching fabrics. Some of the prettiest quilts out there have fabrics are just plain ugly on their own. Someone just made a New Year's quilt that was lots of bright colors. I make all my baby quilts with bright bold colors. It supposedly stimulates brain development

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by