My first show

chicken stalker

TOS Rocks!
Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
This weekend is going to be my first visit to a poultry show. I'm very excited!!! I've made a list of hopeful purchases. I would be on cloud nine if I walk away with one of these hens. If anything, I'm dying to see all these breeds in person.

So what should I expect???What should be aware of???

Here's what I am looking for: Blue egg layer (Araucana, Ameraucana or EE, doesn't matter which, I just want blue eggs. I have green), Chocolate egg layer (any kind of Maran), Blue orp, BLRW

Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no advice either, sorry! Are you showing any chickens, or just going to buy? Liitlechickeracingteam bought a pullet for $240 the other day....
th.gif

Be aware of "used car salesmen." People who 'overtalk' their birds.

Expect to see lots of really nice birds, and only take a limited amount of money.

And make sure that "for sale" birds are allowed at the show you are attending. I dont know about other states, but "sale birds" are not permitted at shows in the state of Texas.

Also, be sure to know what you are looking for. Dont rely on breeders to fill you in properly. Look at the standard for your breed of choice. KNOW the disqualifications, and the requirments of each breed. Be an informed buyer of the birds you want. You want to sound like you know what you are talking about, so be sure and do your research before you set out to buy.

Pretty much the only show I've been to that had a good selection in the sales area was the huge stockton show... And there were over 3k birds shown there, if i remember correctly. Most smaller shows you'll mainly see people trying to get rid of their bad roosters. Just so you're prepared for the worst!
lol.png
I hope you find what you want, and be sure to take pics and share them with us

Back
Top Bottom