1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first slaughter. (havent done so yet)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Zadien, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Zadien

Zadien Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2015
    Can anyone share their first experience with me?

I plan on doing the method of twisting the head off. I just can't bring myself to do it. I have raised ants for consumption bu those are ants, **** an ant.

Quail seem a bit more personal, since they have some sort of personalities.

I figure its something i just have to do. Just take the **** thing rip its head off and be done with it to eat. But its easier said then done now I see.

Any tips for a first time butchering?

2. Laurens

Laurens Out Of The Brooder

You're right it is a little more intimate than anything else. The only other thing I've ever killed was fish and with no problem. But I did my first slaughter last weekend. My heart was racing and my hands were shaking but I did it! You can feel the heart beating and then feel when it stops. Just don't hesitate! I felt proud of myself when it was done. I figure it gets easier with time. If not, I'll have to become a vegetarian lol.

3. Zadien

Oct 5, 2015
    yeah you are right lol. No trick, just do it. xD

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It gets easier the more you do it. Personally I opt for the very sharp knife approach. Either way, the first time is the worst.

Goog luck

Ct

5. gilpinguy

gilpinguy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2015
    Gilpin County, Colorado
    I've read that a good pair of kitchen shears work well. SNIP and it's head is quickly off. Can't be faster than that right?

I haven't done a slaughter yet myself, but I think this is the way I'll go.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It depends if one is left- handed [​IMG] - using regular scissors if you are left handed is no laughing matter and I'm not sure the chickens would thank me if I tried it. The faster the better though, I agree.

Ct

7. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

My videos detail both methods.

8. Zadien

Oct 5, 2015
    What is the roi on raising quail purely for meat? For a single person, is it worth it, or are eggs always more efficient?

9. Zadien

Oct 5, 2015
    I live in an apartment. I dont think I can wring its neck and throw it down like that unless I throw them in the bathtub. Do you let it fully bleed out after?

10. Zadien

Oct 5, 2015
    maybe one of those chicken cones?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by