My first slaughter. (havent done so yet)

Zadien

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2015
Can anyone share their first experience with me?

I plan on doing the method of twisting the head off. I just can't bring myself to do it. I have raised ants for consumption bu those are ants, **** an ant.

Quail seem a bit more personal, since they have some sort of personalities.

I figure its something i just have to do. Just take the **** thing rip its head off and be done with it to eat. But its easier said then done now I see.

Any tips for a first time butchering?

You're right it is a little more intimate than anything else. The only other thing I've ever killed was fish and with no problem. But I did my first slaughter last weekend. My heart was racing and my hands were shaking but I did it! You can feel the heart beating and then feel when it stops. Just don't hesitate! I felt proud of myself when it was done. I figure it gets easier with time. If not, I'll have to become a vegetarian lol.

It gets easier the more you do it. Personally I opt for the very sharp knife approach. Either way, the first time is the worst.

Goog luck

Ct

I've read that a good pair of kitchen shears work well. SNIP and it's head is quickly off. Can't be faster than that right?

I haven't done a slaughter yet myself, but I think this is the way I'll go.

It depends if one is left- handed
1f604.png
- using regular scissors if you are left handed is no laughing matter and I'm not sure the chickens would thank me if I tried it. The faster the better though, I agree.

Ct

What is the roi on raising quail purely for meat? For a single person, is it worth it, or are eggs always more efficient?

I live in an apartment. I dont think I can wring its neck and throw it down like that unless I throw them in the bathtub. Do you let it fully bleed out after?

Back
Top Bottom