My first time with Wyandottes...

chickbea

Songster
13 Years
Jan 18, 2007
Vermont
After years of only having Australorps and NHRs in my little flock, I'm trying something new this spring - silver-laced Wyandottes. I chose them soley for personality and cosmetics - I think they'll look cool puttering around next to the black sheeny plumage of the Australorps.
Anyway, my question is this: I see that they are a dual purpose breed, and I'm wondering if I should be keeping an eye on their rate of growth, as I do with my NHRs in the first several weeks. My chickens are pets first and foremost, so life span is an issue for me...

I have several Wyandottes and never had a problem with any rapid growth.I had two Wyandottes that lived for 4 1/2 yrs and then got attacked by a dog sadly.They are a wonderful friendly breed!! I love mine! I have 5 Blue Wyandotte chicks hatching the 13th!!!
celebrate.gif

Congrats on getting those SLWs I love mine. As far as their food intake/growth and such I would not worry to much. They are a shorter rounder body type but not prone to being over weight.

My SLW was the smalles chick in the brooder and she has filled out but not as big as my Australorps and Cochins and about the size of my NHR.

She is a sweetie but she is "second in command" of my flock of 29 she is also the only one that flies out of the run..her sole purpose...to come up to the house and get attention.

HPIM3520Small.jpg

Last edited:
I never had an issue with mine. They did quite well with the normal routine feeding of chick starter.

Mine are a little over a year old now and quite healthy. They are definitely different in temperment form my BO's. The Dottes are home bodies, sticking to the immediate yard and staying together. My BO's are adventure chickens ranging all over the property and often off by themselves. The Dottes are also much calmer and quicker to come over to get snacks.

That's nice to know that they are home bodies - my other girls just love to go roaming the neighborhood!

Back
Top Bottom