My Five Dollar Flower Bed

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by theoldchick, Oct 7, 2012.

1. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Courtesy of Dollar General. Home of cheap stuff! A two dollar box of marigold seed, and a three dollar bag of black dirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the other $5.00 flower bed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a rose from a three dollar bush purchased from Lowes. I don't usually mess with roses but the Don Juan bush fell into my basket as I was passing by the discount shelf. It was basically a twig in a plastic bag.

[​IMG]

2. TNChickfamily

TNChickfamily New Egg

Oct 5, 2012
    Beautiful flowers and butterflies. LOVE seeing them. Now, can anyone contact Mother Nature and ask for spring to come soon (now would be good for me). I want to put some veggies out and try this new gardening thing. LOL

3. gramakoko

gramakoko Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    beeeeautiful!!!!

4. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nature is just stunning - and wonderful photography work as well. I particularly like the one with the bee. =)

5. spicehens

spicehens New Egg

Aug 21, 2012
    lovely. I buy my plants from a supermarket (I'm in England) and paid less than $2 for most of them, they are small but grow quite fast and were lovely this year despite the weather. However my poor chooks have suffered from a very muddy coop, any suggestions what I can put down? I could do chipped bark, wood shavings, would this work? They would soon work it into the mud so I would not be able to gather it up and replace.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Turned out nice.And now you will have seed FOREVER.

A few times I was able to snag plants from the LOWES garbage bin.They survived and thrived.

7. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Your flower garden is just beautiful. I scatter marigolds in my vegetable beds for color and to attract bees. I love marigolds. Yours are gorgeous!

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Thanks! Can't really grow anything else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by