My five year old hen is behaving weird and don't want to eat

sandrameissnest

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
Hello guys since 3 days my hair is acting strange she's not really active standing more around yesterday she ate just a little bit today she don't want to drink and she don't want to eat any suggestions what I can do I can't fed her a couple drops of water but now I have no idea what to do please help she's between 4 and 5 years old and my favorite thank you so much for your help and input Sandra

How does her crop feel? Does it empty overnight? Has she lost weight through her breast, or does she feel swollen in her lower belly? Can you insert a finger into her vent to check for egg binding? Look her skin over around the vent, under the wings, and around the neck for lice or mites. Has she been wormed recently? Older hens can suffer from various problems such as internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Does she still lay eggs?

Is it possible that maybe she ate a frog I seen 3 days ago a frog but I always put her away and make sure the frog went away but you never know maybe she got him also yesterday I gave her a little bit of cat food she loves cat food tiny little bit because I tried to get her to eat she ate some today she don't want nothin I also to roast a chicken cantaloupe cook chicken liver but nothing my husband is getting later some worms from the store so I hope that she's going to eat some
Is there anything else I can do

I'm not sure what is wrong with her, but I would consider internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or a possible blockage in her digestive tract.

I would just try to get her to drink some water with vitamins and electrolytes. Offer her some chopped egg or her favorite treat, along with her chicken feed. Many chicken illnesses are hard to diagnose. If a vet is possible, they might be able to help find out what is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom