My flock is dying off... one by one. Please help.

mpres75

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 19, 2012
I lost a hen in October. We came back from camping and found her dead. Our animal sitter said she had been fine. A few days later, another hen became very ill. I took her to the vet and got her on Baytril and quarantined her and she made a full recovery. I thought we were in the clear until my rooster died two days ago. He was fine one day and dead the next. We are heartbroken and confused. They have a nice coop that is part shelter and part outdoor enclosure. We make sure they have a heat lamp on at night. We just cannot figure out what is going on and are afraid of losing more chickens. Now we only have two hens left. We would like to get more but don't want any more to die like this. Do you have any ideas?

Their poop is normal looking but my one hen who got sick and recovered had watery yellow poop. As far as eating and drinking it all seems normal. The first one we found dead was just lying face down in the corner of the chicken coop. Then another hen got very ill a few days later and was found the same way. I brought her inside and she made a full recovery, after 3 weeks of quarantine and lots of TLC. Things were fine for a month or so until last week when I found my rooster dead, the same way as the first hen. I'm so upset and also afraid to get more chickens who may die like this.

Do you have any more details??? What does their poop look like?? Have they been eating and drinking normally? ?

have they been wormed? A chicken carrying a heavy worm load will be more likely to fall prey to what ever is going around. What condition are they in? What are you feeding them. I think with only 2 left, if they were mine I would think about putting them through a course of antibiotics, just in case,, or else feed then known immune boosters.

Back
Top Bottom