My flock is getting bigger

Struttn1

Songster
13 Years
May 4, 2008
Southern Illinois
I heard peeping underneath my broody Royal Palm this evening.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif

I work 16 hours tommorrow so it will be Sunday before I know what I have.
he.gif

Congrats!!! It's so exciting to get new babies!!!

On my first hatch, I hung around the brooder not getting ready for work, and peeking through the little window instead. DH asked me if I needed him to call me in sick to my boss!

Oooohh, can't wait to see pics of your new little poults! C'mon Sunday....
fl.gif

I still have to wait about 2 weeks to see if I have a successful 2nd hatch in my 'bator. I set 14 Bourbon Red eggs, hoping for a tom as I have 3 two month old hens. Just my luck.....

Just checked my eggs under broodys. Out of the 16 due late on the 17th or early the 18th 9 have moving embryos, 3 have development but I did not see definite movement, 3 were clear and the last one was all dark. Felt like I was carrying a bomb out of the coup on the way back to the house with the dark one.

I opened the bomb and it was gassy and ready to caboom. The other three were undeveloped as expected--PHEW!!! So my flakey chicken broodys are doing a pretty darn good job, particularly on eggs from over 1500 miles away. Have 12 cochin eggs in the bator that should hatch about the same time. Started with 14 cochins and 2 were scrambled. All the others are developing. Should have teachers for my poults if they need help learning the ropes.

Last edited:
lol.png
:lol:wowee congrats aren't you lucky and what will power you must have to stay away that long from your hen as stated i am a first timer and have 3 hens and 7 toms and sometimes i wonder if i have taken on more than i can handle but when i saw them all together at the dealer shop i just couldn't choose and i don't have the heart to leave even one of them behind so i took them all with the excuse to my better half that come xmas time then we will give some away to friends and relative but now when i look at them which i do many many times a day that is the furthest thing on my mind ..so please look me up when i post my queries and help me out as i have lots and lots of question to ask you guys.
PS. i promise i won't be a chatter box the next time i post but once i get started on my turkeys i cannot stop myself they are my pride and joy pets.

Back
Top Bottom