my flock of three. . .any thoughts?

Thanks all! I was originally told they came from a flock of BR, New Hampshire reds, and amerucanas, but clearly that info (passed down from the preschool) was incomplete!

The BR had always been obvious, but the others a mystery. Their names are Ebony, Ivory and Harmony. hahaha! I love my little Ebony, Im happy at least that one is def a pullet. She's the most tame and the smallest of the three. As a smaller chick she was all black, but got that orange in there as her feathers came in.

I'm still waiting until there is eggs or crowing. I wonder if I should start over with a couple new chicks if those two are indeed Roos? I don't want ebony to wind up alone! But not sure how much energy I have to start over with chicks again this year. Sigh

Tame and good with kids are my main requirements. Obviously, we want eggs, but were definitely raising chickens as pets. Before I wound up with these mystery chicks I was thinking of my ideal being a mixed flock with buff orph, brahma, br, australorp and Sussex. But I'm very new to chickens so any advice on the matter is welcome. Right now we are limited to 3 hens, but hope to have more space by next summer.

I have a white Americauna that looks just like that, and it's a hen. The barred rock is an easy guess, and i would say black sex linked on the other. when i questioned the sex of one of my original chickens at about 6 weeks old someone asked me "does it crow?" The answer said it all. A few months later she was one of my best layers. roos start practicing from early on. If i had to guess since they are fully feathered if they aren't crowing, you're good!

I have a white Americauna that looks just like that, and it's a hen. The barred rock is an easy guess, and i would say black sex linked on the other. when i questioned the sex of one of my original chickens at about 6 weeks old someone asked me "does it crow?" The answer said it all. A few months later she was one of my best layers. roos start practicing from early on. If i had to guess since they are fully feathered if they aren't crowing, you're good!

Thanks! You're my first ray of hope. And I didn't know Amerucanas could be white, that would fit into what I was told of the breeds.
No, no crowing yet. :) so I'll hold out hope!

The white one is definatley not an ameraucana.It has no muffs and has yellow legs, ameraucanas have slate legs.It also does not have a pea comb.

Agreed. Sorry ccccchickens. I was pulling pictures and it's a white Plymouth rock, not the americauna, I was think of. I knew I had a white americauna out there, I forgot about the white rock! Oops~ I think I may need to do a head count. Anyway here they are about that age:
Blue legs=blue eggs!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom