My flock was fine this morning, this afternoon they are dying!

Aber

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 27, 2017
Please help me figure out what's wrong and save my two remaining hens and my guinea flock. I had 4 pullets between 10-12 weeks. They went into their tractor run for the day this morning looking healthy and plucky and this afternoon they were acting a little sluggish. This evening 2 are dead and a third is acting very ill, not eating or drinking. The last one is still acting fine but I have them separated tonight. My guinea flock free range and seem to be perfectly healthy. They have constant access to fresh water and starter grower and have had nothing out of the ordinary to eat.

It got into the mid 80's today. Their run is in the shade in a spot with a very steady breeze... Could it be heat? No coughing, normal poop, eyes are clear. They literally went from seeming perfectly normal and healthy, to extremely sleepy, to dead in a couple of hours. It's breaking my kids' and my heart!

It could have been the heat, young chicks don't always make good decisions, though that's not real hot. I wonder if the house part of the tractor gets hot, or is it just a run?

It got into the mid 80's today. Their run is in the shade in a spot with a very steady breeze... Could it be heat? No coughing, normal poop, eyes are clear. They literally went from seeming perfectly normal and healthy, to extremely sleepy, to dead in a couple of hours. It's breaking my kids' and my heart!

I completely understand how you feel, half of my chicks died just two days ago, for no reason. It's terrible.

If it's in the 80s, that's perfectly fine, especially with shade. My pullets are okay in the 90s in my run, so long as there's shade and plenty of water.

I'm sorry if this seems a bit too graphic, but how do they die? What's their position, I mean? That could tell us if it's Marek's or not...

Could you tell us what breed they are? Maybe we could find out more with that.

Is the food normal? What do you feed them? What about the water? Is it warm? Dirty? Perhaps some contamination? Do you give any supplements?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions, eheheh!

2 barred rocks and 2 rhode islands. At first they look like they are just sleeping but leaning forward more... They spasm and stretch out when they actually died. We just lost the third one.

Oh no! I'm sorry for your loss...
Hmm... so is the food and water okay? Is the water warm/hot?

And the supplements?

They get starter/grower, no supplements. Water is changed at least once, usually twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom