My flock was sick with cocci, but how long does it take for birds to recoup, or are they still sick?

ElCerritoPlace

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
When I started treatment with corrid I had 2 sick lethargic birds. One was my sons bantam. I treated for 6 days, with 1 tsp of liquid corrid per gallon in all waterers. I stopped treatment about 5 days ago but the bantam still seems listless and now today I noticed her stumbling again. She even gets stepped on by other chickens, where she used to be so quick and would even fight back. Do I pull her out and treat her again solo? But then I'm afraid about having to reintroduce her...
Do I treat everyone and leave her in? Not sure when birds recover from being lethargic after having coccidiosis, or if they do. I never did have a stoll Sample taken to a vet, just went with the symptoms of runny stool, lethargic, and then lost one chicken, so i assumed cocci since we just had a heat wave and the age group that seemed affected was the ones just introduced a month ago. Need advice on this. If it was any other bird but my sons, I'd say oh well, but he's 3 and she is very tolerant of him and let's him pick her up and no other chicken does that. I got kind of attached to this tuff little bantam.

Thanks

I would start treatment again with all of them and leave her in. I hope she makes it, our little Cochin Bantam is very friendly with my son, hence my avatar lol! I couldn't imagine losing her):

I've lost two of my nine pullets/roo and notice another one lethargic today. I don't know that mine had cocci but that was the first thing I treated for. I did take one to a vet and got diagnosed with mites and worms. It may be that if they get sick with one thing, they are more susceptible to other parasites. Maybe try worming and treating for mites? My vet checked two stool samples and found nothing wrong. A second vet found the worms, so don't discount anything based on a clean report. Honestly, a "this is what we found" is so much better. At least you know what you are dealing with.

Good luck. I have a 3 year old too. It was my 7-yr old who took the losses hard. Thankfully, my sick roo is not one she is attached to, but he's one of my favorites.

I think that dose is too low--it may work for prevention, but for an outbreak you need to use 2 tsp per gallon. I would treat them another 5 days.

Everything I read said 1 tsp of liquid, but I thout 2 tsp for powder? Anybody have experience with this?

Back
Top Bottom