1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My four chooks.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AbbyMonz, Jun 27, 2016.

1. AbbyMonz

AbbyMonz New Egg

Jun 27, 2016
    Victoria Point, Qld
    I got my four chooks, 2 Australorps and 2 ISA Browns 2 weeks ago. They have been vaccinated wormed and de liced. They appear to be happy chooks and are 20 weeks old. As yet they have not laid a single egg, and I'm really concerned in doing something wrong. They not only have a high protein hen mix, they have fresh foods as well and their coop is cleaned out twice a day so they are not left with poop everywhere. I read that in the winter hens lay less because of the cold. But I'm worried it may be more than that. They also have shell grit by the way, and a huge area they can forage free but without the worry of predators. Can someone give me some advice please?

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you think they are hiding eggs or predators may have eaten them? A hen approaching point of lay gets an enlarged, reddened comb. She may check out the nest boxes - putting a golf ball in each is a good sight aid for her.

3. AbbyMonz

AbbyMonz New Egg

Jun 27, 2016
    Victoria Point, Qld
    No predators can get in their coop at night. It's predator proof. We did put in 2 eggs over night one night but it made no difference.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! They are just getting into the average egg laying age (20-25 weeks) and they have been moved to a new home, which is stressful for chickens (chickens hate change). I think they'll be fine and will start laying for you soon-soon. It sounds like you are taking VERY good care of them, so it's only a matter of when they're ready now. Hope it's soon!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by