My frustration with shipped eggs!!

insiderart

Obviously Insane
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Arkansas
Tonight I threw away over 2 DOZEN eggs from the incubator. Shipped eggs that never developed.

It's day16 and I was cleaning out, getting ready for lockdown. It's crazy for so many eggs not to develop. Thanks USPS!

I am so off shipped eggs. What's a hatching addict to do?

Find local breeders.
idunno.gif
Sorry I know im not a lot of help.
smack.gif

I feel you!! I had 8 pekin duck eggs shipped 1 hatched, 3 buff orps 0 hatched, 12 silkie/showgirl eggs 1 hatched and now I have 6 shipped silkie eggs in the bator. I wanted at least 2 ducks and 2 silkie/showgirls. 1 buff orp for laying......
hugs.gif

I can sympathize. After you go through the stress of an auction on eggbid or eBay, you then stress to see if they are going to come unbroken. THEN, into the incubator and the constant concern if (a) there were ever fertile to start and (b) if they will hatch and (c) are they what the person SAID they were sending......

I had 14-plus black mottled cochins send. 12 were broken in the mail and the other two must have been scrambled. The nice woman resent the eggs on 5/18 via priority and they got to me on 5/30. They are in it the incubator, but I don't hold out high hopes for them.

I bought TONS and TONS of Sebbie eggs and NONE were ever fertile...most came from the same seller and I SWEAR they were not fertile to start. There was never any development at all. No wonder they were so inexpensive.

Today, alone, we threw out 9 eggs from a variety of orders. Our eggs from our own birds seem to be fine, but shipped eggs are a different story so much of the time.

I'm now starting to try to buy birds instead of eggs.
hugs.gif

Sure is frustrating, I know.

I'm sorry for your difficult time with shipped eggs. I've only incubated once and I was fully expecting to have only a couple hatch from the shipped eggs. Instead, I had a 100% hatch. I don't know what to tell you. Life is like a box of shipped eggs...you never know what's going to hatch.

Yeah. Insideart, I am right with you. I got two little Seramas and three died in the shell, perfectly developed. I don't think I can blame that on USPS.

And right now I am looking at ONE silkie. I could get more today, I suppose.

Of 18 eggs shipped before, one hatched.

Now, I have not tried much on non shipped eggs, but of the six I did do, 4 hatched.

Honestly, I am coming to the point where I think if I cannot find eggs to hatch that I can get, I am about to give up.

Not quite, we will see how the next ones do.

They are in the 1588 Genesis that everyone said was so good, so maybe they will do better.

Catherine

Right. Everybody knocks hatcheries.

Well, those chicks I got from Estes, so far they are GREAT. Big fat chicks, scratching around and pecking away.

REALLY nice chicks.

Catherine

You know, all of these shipped eggs died in the icubator.

Let's see how Big Momma does.

She is sitting on 14 little Serama eggs.

I have some Silkies coming--from a Hatchery!--And perhaps next year I will have a bunch of broodies I can hatched from!

Catherine

I've never tried to hatch shipped eggs, and this is why. I've read about poor hatches, and I can't bear the thought of it. I'm so sorry that you guys put out the money and invested your time, effort and love into your eggs, and then didn't get much of a return. I would be so disappointed.

The idea of finding (reasonably) local breeders and buying eggs from them really is a great idea. It's what I have done, and I've had fantastic hatches. Sure, I spent a couple of hours on the road, but it was worth it. To me, anyway.

And to those of you who have gotten great hatches from shipped eggs - Cool! Lucky you! I doubt that it would happen for me....
sad.png

That is frustrating, you're right. I think everyone that has bought shipped eggs before, has been there done that. It is just a gamble you take when buying hatching eggs that are shipped. I've had to throw away a whole shipment before, but then I've also had a 100% hatch rate from shipped eggs. It's just one of those things, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom