My garage conversion with dirt floor is complete...the chickens have a new home!

hayley3

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Me and my daughter spent over 5 hours shoveling dirt into the garage...I didn't realize how hard that was going to be. But the chickens now have space and a new roost to sleep on...I still have to put in the door but it just arrived today.
It's such a great feeling to watch them scratch and investigate their new home.....and I hope the dirt will insulate them somewhat against the cold this year.

ETA: I didn't get the chicken wire all the way up yet...I hope they don't try to roost on that. :rolleyes:

Attachments

hayley3

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Thanks...my poor chickens have lived in the front section of that garage (you can't see that but it's where I'm standing to take the pic) for a year, roosting on 2x4's that sat on two saw horses....it was supposed to be a temporary situation but took me a year to get finished.

hayley3

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
I was going to fill the entire garage with dirt but the doors made it too complicated. When I decided to use a pop door for the chickens, it seemed like a better idea. The ducks have their own smaller "apartment" on the left and they will have to walk thru the walk door to get there. Hopefully they won't poo a lot on the walk across from the outside walk door. :D

Top Bottom