My Geese are bullys!!

After reading this thread I am more perplexed than ever! How do you look at these photos and tell which sex each one is? I feel like I am missing something!

(Beautiful geese, American Mom. They are really adorable!)

After reading this thread I am more perplexed than ever! How do you look at these photos and tell which sex each one is? I feel like I am missing something!

(Beautiful geese, American Mom. They are really adorable!)
Some breeds are easy because of colour. Others are more difficult, and mostly we guess, based on their carriage, behaviour, the way they look, heads, necks, etc. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we get it wrong, even serv, but most of the time our guesses work out right. You always know in the end..an egg means a female!
lol.png

Some breeds are easy because of colour. Others are more difficult, and mostly we guess, based on their carriage, behaviour, the way they look, heads, necks, etc. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we get it wrong, even serv, but most of the time our guesses work out right. You always know in the end..an egg means a female!
lol.png

Maybe some day I will figure it out for myself! I ask, of course, because I am hoping against hope that you were all wrong and I have a pair rather than two boys! But I think you're probably right.
roll.png

Maybe some day I will figure it out for myself! I ask, of course, because I am hoping against hope that you were all wrong and I have a pair rather than two boys! But I think you're probably right.
roll.png
They look like two males to me, too, but I don´t have asiatics, so I never like to say with too much confidence.
But, we all guess wrong from time to time, and I have a goose here that looks every bit like a gander, (she even fooled servpolice
tongue.png
) behaviour and all...but she lays eggs, so she´s a gal.
If they turn out to be two males, can you get a couple of gals for them before next year, or will you try to swap one of them?

They look like two males to me, too, but I don´t have asiatics, so I never like to say with too much confidence.
But, we all guess wrong from time to time, and I have a goose here that looks every bit like a gander, (she even fooled servpolice
tongue.png
) behaviour and all...but she lays eggs, so she´s a gal.
If they turn out to be two males, can you get a couple of gals for them before next year, or will you try to swap one of them?

I am not sure what we will do. I guess I am not very clear on whether keeping two males will create trouble (we also have 2 female ducks and 1 male duck, but the male is not aggressive because he's vision impaired). We asked our neighbor who also thought they were both male if they would fight when they got older. She said no, it's okay, they will just be best friends. What do you think?

Living and Americanmom, with crosses of a brown and white goose the males are usually the darker colour and have pinkish orange beaks and females more yellow embden colour and males usually have purplish on the beak when just hatched :)

Living and Americanmom, with crosses of a brown and white goose the males are usually the darker colour and have pinkish orange beaks and females more yellow embden colour and males usually have purplish on the beak when just hatched
smile.png

Thanks Serv.. Its all a learning experience for me..

So when do I expect them to start laying? Are they like the Turkeys and it will be spring next year?

I am not sure what we will do. I guess I am not very clear on whether keeping two males will create trouble (we also have 2 female ducks and 1 male duck, but the male is not aggressive because he's vision impaired). We asked our neighbor who also thought they were both male if they would fight when they got older. She said no, it's okay, they will just be best friends. What do you think?
Some are fine, others aren´t. it depends on the ganders. If they managed to get a dominance sorted out, then they may be fine. The problem may arise at breeding time, when neither of them wants to be the 'female' and a fight can start. But not all will. If there´s one female, they´re far more likely to fight. Maybe wait until next year, and if they start to fight, get a couple of females for them?
Nice for the ducks that the gander´s visually impared, poor thing. Drakes are far more of a handful than ganders.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom