My geese can't count

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ga_goat, Dec 6, 2011.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    hatched April or may 2011 one laid an egg today, too close to the pond so I picked her up and toted her and the egg back up to the house in a pen (12x15 ft) put her some straw in the pen and some moss and laid the egg in the straw , she covered up the egg with the straw and left it alone so far . How long should I leave it or is the first few even worth trying to let them hatch ?

2. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I left the geese closed up for a few days after seeing preditors around the pond ,, they laid another egg , I collected it for the house . Then I gave them some turkey chow and put some hay in 1 of the 3 pens they have access to , today found where they made a nest are laying to it then covering up the 3 eggs and leaving ,,are they waiting for enough eggs to set ??
    I took care of the preditors for now , but more will show up ,, it's winter . thinking about just leaving the geese penned for now .
    They have over 500 sq ft of space and with corn turky chow and hay they should be ok .

3. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    How eggciting!! I've got a little Sebbie girl but not old enout to lay yet so really couldn't tell you about the nest. I know my ducks will continue to lay several in a nest without thoughts of setting. Maybe the same way of thinking [​IMG]

But congrats on the eggs !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by