1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Giant Orp Rooster was fine last night and dead this morning!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ilerner, Dec 5, 2015.

1. ilerner

ilerner New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Covington, WA
    Why am I crying over a dead rooster?

Sir Poops-a-lot was only about 10 months old and more than 20 pounds - very active and ranged nearly 1/3 acre - no signs of illness or distress - hugging his girls last night and dead today!

Can they just get too big for their hearts? Everyone else is fine. Cleaned the coop just in case - what else should i do?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. It can be common to lose a bird around the age of maturity from some sort of organ failure, especially the heart. If you refrigerate the body, you could send it off to your state vet for a necropsy. Each state has different prices for that, while some, such as California are free.

3. ilerner

ilerner New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Covington, WA
    Thx for the reply and for listening. He was huge (even for and English Orp) according to an experienced farmer down the street - weighed him at the post office (before they opened) and he was just over 21 pounds. The girls were all cuddled around him this morning when i opened the coop - he brought us so much fun! You could hear him running when he thought i was bringing out treats.

Sir Poops-a-lot was the only rooster i've had that never chased me. i'm going to see if the farmer will try to incubate any eggs i get over the next few days - or maybe we will just get another - it is sooooo quiet outside with him gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by