Lost my Rooster this morning

gwells1980

Songster
Jan 3, 2023
Kentucky
Hi, it is a sad and confusing day. After months of looking for the perfect rooster to protect and breed with my pullets, we found him dead in the coop this morning. He was approx. 8 months old and was in perfect health. He was eating, drinking, and pooping just fine. The only change in his behavior that I noticed was last night we went to roost about an hour before dark which is abnormal for him. He was roosting before the hens were even in the coop.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I don't have any predator problems here and there was no bulling going on in my flock. The hens loved him and he was the only rooster. If you have any ideas please help.

P.S. I don't know if it is relevent but he was an Easter Egger. My profile picture is him.

Sorry you lost your roo unexpectedly. He was a handsome boy! Unfortunately, these things happen, despite giving them the best care. Keep an eye on your hens to see if any of their behavior seems off. Hope you find another great roo soon.

Hi, it is a sad and confusing day. After months of looking for the perfect rooster to protect and breed with my pullets, we found him dead in the coop this morning. He was approx. 8 months old and was in perfect health. He was eating, drinking, and pooping just fine. The only change in his behavior that I noticed was last night we went to roost about an hour before dark which is abnormal for him. He was roosting before the hens were even in the coop.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I don't have any predator problems here and there was no bulling going on in my flock. The hens loved him and he was the only rooster. If you have any ideas please help.

P.S. I don't know if it is relevent but he was an Easter Egger. My profile picture is him.
Probably ate something that was harmful
Exactly the same happened to one of my 4month old RSL cockerel
Went to roost earlier than usual, the next morning didn't come out all
Found his body where he threw up blood before dyeing

If his comb was purple or bluish, that could point to circulation issues. Heart attack or stroke.

I think that's what happened to my boy.

Back
Top Bottom