My girl is getting picked on

Biscuit Bunch

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 18, 2013
I have 12 Thai chickens just shy of 5 months, all sibling and been together since they've hatched. 5 roos and 7 girls. Yesterday one of my girls was cornered while her brother was biting her on the back of the neck drawing blood. I removed my girl from the flock for the day and after they went to roost, I swapped out the aggressive brother and put my girl back in with her family. Today the same girl was again cornered by a different brother that was biting her on the back of the neck. We again pulled her from the flock. We still have her separated. Does anyone have any idea of why she is getting attacked? No other girl is getting this treatment from others. My first thought was may be she is "coming of age". But, that's just a guess.

Thanks aart, I appreciate your feedback. I had about the same idea. I know that my girl doesn't act sick. So it must be. They haven't started laying but I expect it in the next few week. I will try to put her back with the rest of the flock may be about the time she does start laying but by then I plan on moving her brothers. I don't want sibling mating. Thanks again.

I would get her back with the flock, and get all the boys out of there, immediately.
If you leave away from the flock for long you may have integration problems putting back with them.

What are your long range plans for your birds?

I keep the boys with the girls until they start trying to mate, then the boys go to the butcher so the girls can get on with laying without being harassed.

She is still away from the flock. I agree, I think she needs to go back. As far as long term, not sure. My husband has been changing his mind about every other day. I would like to keep one or two just to keep the blood line. However, that still leaves me with three. The plan at the beginning was to cull them for food but, waiting on hubby to make up his mind. All of the other juveniles are doing just fine together, no fighting. It was just her. I will have another talk with hubby and see about getting her put back asap. Thanks for the info. If you can think of anything else please let me know. Thanks again!

I would put the pullet back with the others and separate the cockerels into their own pen. That much testosterone with so few pullets will cause problems at some point, even if they get along now. Then butcher/sell the cockerels you do not want to keep.

if she has mites or fleas the other chickens may try to peck them off to eat, eventually that will draw blood and the chickens will go CrAzY over the blood, just a suggestion for you to check

Back
Top Bottom