My girl is not well--but no apparent symptoms

jackie.raulerson

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 28, 2008
Maggie is a Batam hen around 18 months old. She not a good layer, has routinely had soft-shelled eggs even with added calcium-she never lays routinely. My first thought is that she's egg-bound. She doesn't appear to have a egg (or pieces) in her vent. Her poops look ok. She ate well yesterday. This morning, she was on the perch, would not come down with the others, and she allowed me to pick her up without her usual mild protest. I brought her inside to a cool and quite place. She doesn't seem to have any eggs (lumps) in her belly, or any bloating. Her crop feels empty. I've been giving her a few drops of water every half hour. I started her on probiotics and tetracycline (McMurrays's Grogel and Ornacycline) placing bits and pieces in her beak. I do not know how to crop-feed. I've been looking at posts all morning to try and glean some insight as to what is wrong with her. She is currently resting with eyes closed.

I have my flock (1 rooster and 6 hens) on scratch, laying mash, oyster shell and granite grit, extra calcium as needed, fresh corn and other fresh foods as I have them available---same diet for a very long time. They've been in their winter coop, that is 'inside,' (due to snow and cold weather) for 10 days but when the weather inproved a few days ago, I let them out in their yard. Everyone else seems fine. The older hens are not laying, but the others are without issue. I deworm them in the fall. I keep a clean chicken house.

I woud appreciate any advice or suggestions.

If she was never a good layer, she could have internal problems that you just can't see. Something small can be stuck, something can be twisted, or just something else plain wrong with a poor laying history.

I doubt she has a bacterial infection, and giving antibiotics when you don't know or don't see a high risk like a dog bite, just leads to the increased resistance of bacteria to the drugs. Makes them ineffective and if used again when really needed, may be useless. They also don't need to be dewormed unless a fecal sample shows worms. Not all worms can be killed by the same wormers, so find the type and get the corect wormer. Wormers are hard on the internals of a bird.

For now, keep her in a warm place and if you wish, take a fecal sample to the vet to see if she has worms or cocci. Then you can medicate approperately if it is even necessiary.

Will take away the antibiotocs. My 'chicken vet' is avialble tomorrow, so I'll take her in then for a thorough exam. Any suggestions as to inticing/forcing her to eat? I so thank you for your speedy response and words of wisdom.

...and check her feet and legs. If she's hesitant to come down she could have an injury and avoids jumping to eat/drink...she may need a 4x4 scrap to use near the food/water. She may accepted sweetened water if you don't have electrolytes- offer with a dropper. Might also eat yogurt rather than more solid food...

Last edited:
That sounds very much like my hens I lost to internal laying. They had no real outward symptoms, except eventually, near the end, extreme weight loss. They would start with laying an odd egg or two, thin-shelled or just the yolk without shell or membrane. Then they'd quit entirely, though they may go on the nest several times but not produce anything. They kept eating and drinking and walking till they were too weak. Then they'd be bone thin and pass on or we'd euthanize them. We did open them each up and there were masses like sausages in casings, in the oviduct. You cut them open and they were layer upon layer, looked like cooked yolk and perhaps solid infection. Each was a hatchery bird, each between two and two and a half years old. They did not have bloated feeling abdomens, either.
Internal laying is hormonal. There is no cure, there is no prevention. I hope that wasnt your hen's problem, but you wont be sure unless you do what we did in the end- take a look.

I'm sorry you lost her. It's never easy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom