My girl is wheezing

k3geminifive

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2021
I have had my girls for over a year now. They are my pride and joy. They help me keep moving around and doing things during covid. But one one is seriously sick right now.
I'm not sure if it is gapeworm or something stuck.
She has a heavy wheezing with in and out breathing. I have quarantined her away from her friends and I'm syringe feeding her because she needs something soft and watery to be able to swallow.
This all started 48 hours ago. She was fine one moment and rolling in her dust bath and something startled them and she ran to the coop.
I went to check on her and that's when I discovered that she was wheezing.
I know she wasn't doing it before she ran there. I don't know if she hit her throat or it was going to happen anyhow.
She's bright alert no signs of injury she walks around she tries to eat her crumbles but she chokes on them. She does eat cat food of course in small amounts and spinach cut up.
Last night she wouldn't eat any of it so I started syringe feeding her a mixture of her feed some vegetables and water to make sure she was getting substance.
Does anybody know what I should look for?

Update... I'm at the ER now and waiting to hear what is wrong...
Wish us luck My baby Ursula needs it..

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your chicken. I was looking through unanswered threads and I saw that this one was never replied to. How is she doing now?

I have had my girls for over a year now. They are my pride and joy. They help me keep moving around and doing things during covid. But one one is seriously sick right now.
I'm not sure if it is gapeworm or something stuck.
She has a heavy wheezing with in and out breathing. I have quarantined her away from her friends and I'm syringe feeding her because she needs something soft and watery to be able to swallow.
This all started 48 hours ago. She was fine one moment and rolling in her dust bath and something Howstartled them and she ran to the coop.
I went to check on her and that's when I discovered that she was wheezing.
I know she wasn't doing it before she ran there. I don't know if she hit her throat or it was going to happen anyhow.
She's bright alert no signs of injury she walks around she tries to eat her crumbles but she chokes on them. She does eat cat food of course in small amounts and spinach cut up.
Last night she wouldn't eat any of it so I started syringe feeding her a mixture of her feed some vegetables and water to make sure she was getting substance.
Does anybody know what I should look for?

Update... I'm at the ER now and waiting to hear what is wrong...
Wish us luck My baby Ursula needs it..

I’m so sorry to hear about your girl. How is her poop? I look to the poop for clues when trying to figure out what is going on. Watery, discolored, solid? Is her crop normal or squishy? Is she panting?

Back
Top Bottom