My girl not laying at 7ish months? EE?

superkt

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
Central FL
I've had this hen since February and she still doesn't lay. Definitely not a rooster -- no crowing, no rooster signs. Is this usual behavior? My other two girls lay -- one is two weeks older and the other is about 4 weeks younger. I'm not up to date on breeds but I'm pretty sure she's an EE and not an Ameraucana.

Last edited:
I honestly can't tell the diff between Ameraucanas and EE's... Did you get her as a chick or adolescent? I was in an EE thread and there were many stories of folks waiting and waiting and WAITING for their EE's to lay their first egg. I was under the assumption these birds were great layers? Does it just take them a while to start or are they finicky layers?

I am getting some soon from a lady who breeds for large egg size and color :) I'm sure they are worth the wait!

My EE layed around 24 weeks. I then purchased purebred Ameracaunas that didn't lay for a full year!

Editing to add that yours looks like an EE. My avatar pic is a bunch of Ameraucanas before the cockerels were weeded out.

Last edited:
I honestly can't tell the diff between Ameraucanas and EE's... Did you get her as a chick or adolescent? I was in an EE thread and there were many stories of folks waiting and waiting and WAITING for their EE's to lay their first egg. I was under the assumption these birds were great layers? Does it just take them a while to start or are they finicky layers?

I am getting some soon from a lady who breeds for large egg size and color :) I'm sure they are worth the wait!

From what I have read, the EE's are the ones that are more brown. Real Ameraucanas are hard to come by apparently! But I'm not as well versed as some people on these forums. I have read that these girls take a while to lay but I feel like I've been waiting FOREVER! I got her as a chick at about 4 weeks. My friend has 2 EE's that lay very frequently but they're much older than my girl.

I had EEs 4 different times and they always laid at about 20 weeks. With my present batch one started at 18 1/2 weeks. I don't think I ever had hatchery chickens that laid later than 22 weeks.

From what I have read, the EE's are the ones that are more brown. Real Ameraucanas are hard to come by apparently! But I'm not as well versed as some people on these forums. I have read that these girls take a while to lay but I feel like I've been waiting FOREVER! I got her as a chick at about 4 weeks. My friend has 2 EE's that lay very frequently but they're much older than my girl.

I have one Ameraucana, there's many breeders around here for them. They are very popular and I honestly never liked them until I got one (she was given to me as a chick for free). She's just a tiny thing and I don't see her eggs being very big lol.

There is a breeder of Easter Eggers I'm getting four from, and she's taking my roos (yay!)... She sent me pics of her eggs, they are all green/blue and HUGE. I'm looking forward to getting my girls from her and am just waiting for her trip out here :) She has two Ameraucanas as well, one lays very well the other not so much.

My Ameracaunas are quite standoff-ish, despite being handled quite a bit as babies. I almost wouldn't get any more except that they lay really well and one of them turned out to be an awesome broody hen and raised up a group of chicks for me. I'll be keeping her even after she's done laying eggs - as long as she continues to be such a devoted mom.

My older EE that I've since re-homed due to age was an absolute sweetheart. She was always squatting for me anytime I came near her. lol

My new batch of chicks also contain a couple of hatchery EE's that are about 11 weeks. I'm not even sure I should expect any eggs this year, since we're coming into fall. It
might be spring before I see any out of them. :)

Honestly, when I was waiting and waiting that year for my Ameracaunas to lay eggs I ended up just resigning myself to the wait. I would send out my kids for the eggs
from the other chickens and when that first skyblue egg came, it was a VERY nice surprise!

Back
Top Bottom